Screen messes up suddenly and laptop freezes RRS feed

• Question

• My laptop had been acting up quite a lot before I decided to reformat and re-install windows. The problem was it kept on restarting without any warning whatsoever, and this happened repeatedly, and very often. I'd rebooted into safe mode, as was suggested by some google searches, so as to check if it was a software or hardware error. Since my laptop didn't crash at all while on safe mode, I assumed it was a software error. I tried several suggested solutions, like cleaning out any corrupted registries, restoring to a previous restore point, updating drivers etc. but nothing stopped the crashes outside of safe mode.

So my last resort was to reformat my laptop and re-install windows.

I thought it had worked and the crashing stopped, but that wasn't the case. It actually crashed twice DURING installation (I had to clear out/format everything again just to be sure) and then restarted the installation process WHILE on safe mode.

Windows got finally installed properly, but my laptop still kept on crashing. Although the restarts got lessened, sometimes it would mess up the screen (as seen in the screenshots below) and then it would freeze and i would have to do a hard reset.

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7580/20110512141159.jpg
    http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/990/20110512133711.jpg

This is already a clean re-installation of windows, by the way. I haven't installed any new software nor copied old files yet.

Does anyone have any idea as to what may result to the screenshots above (regardless of connection to other mentioned problems)? I think I might be doing something wrong somewhere, or maybe it's a hardware error?

Thank you for your time.
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:51 AM

Answers

• Can you provide more information about the computer? Make. specific model number, etc.

That type of image is typically hardware related. If you have a separate display adapter, I would say that it is beginning to fail.  (replace display adapter) If it is onboard display, it could be failing. (replace motherboard) You could also have an overheating problem, lots of dust in the fan and vents.  (get a can of computer cleaner air and blast it out)

Just in case it's the internal display failing, connect the laptop to a desktop monitor and toggle the internal display off. (do you have a clear picture) That way you can rule out the display adapter and then focus on the LCD. The electronics failing (inverter board) could cause the problem also.

Have you updated the BIOS and the motherboard chipset drivers?

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:48 AM
    Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

As Nano says, this issue is most likely caused by the hardware. Also, You may try to update the BIOS and display card driver for a test.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:12 AM

All replies

• Can you provide more information about the computer? Make. specific model number, etc.

That type of image is typically hardware related. If you have a separate display adapter, I would say that it is beginning to fail.  (replace display adapter) If it is onboard display, it could be failing. (replace motherboard) You could also have an overheating problem, lots of dust in the fan and vents.  (get a can of computer cleaner air and blast it out)

Just in case it's the internal display failing, connect the laptop to a desktop monitor and toggle the internal display off. (do you have a clear picture) That way you can rule out the display adapter and then focus on the LCD. The electronics failing (inverter board) could cause the problem also.

Have you updated the BIOS and the motherboard chipset drivers?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 11:44 AM
  • Hi,

As Nano says, this issue is most likely caused by the hardware. Also, You may try to update the BIOS and display card driver for a test.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:12 AM