none
Installing Office 2016 via task sequence fails - Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm learning MDT 2013 and using a TechNet article to "Create a Windows 10 reference image"....   I included a task sequence to install Office 2016  (note:  the TechNet article used Office 2013) and - lo and behold - it didn't install.  I wasn't able to find the SMSTS.log on the Windows 10 machine, but did locate the BDD log.  I found the following in that log:

" <![LOG[Application Microsoft Install - Microsoft Office 2016 Pro Plus - x86 returned an unexpected return code: 30059] "

The same log pathed the location of the SMSTS.log file at

" <![LOG[The task sequencer log is located at C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\SMSTSLog\SMSTS.LOG.  For task sequence failures, please consult this log.]LOG]  "

But it's not there.  I did use the OCT to create an .msp file and I used just  "setup.exe"  for the " Quiet Install Command"  when importing the application. 

I can't find anything via Bing in re "unexpected return code: 30059"  so here I am....

Anybody have a reason I'm getting this error?

Many thanks - Adrian

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:04 PM

All replies

• Make sure your MSP file name starts with 1_ (e.g. 1_Custom.msp) so that Office will always process it first. Also the file needs to be in the updates folder. When you customize office be sure to set the options that will make it a silent install.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:30 PM
  • Thank you so much Dan.  I'll make the necessary adjustments you suggest!

Hook'em Horns!

Thursday, March 24, 2016 9:37 PM
  • office setup.exe returns 30059, usually if you have specified an incorrect product key (5x5 characters) within your config.xml or customisation MSPfile.

VL Channel editions of Windows and Office, are pre-configured by MSFT with the correct GVLK's (KMSclient pkeys), so there is no need to enter/supply a pkey for unattend or MDT or ConfigMgr etc, if you are implementing KMShost/KMSclient.

As per Dan's screenshot, "Use KMS client key" is the correct choice - don't "enter another product key" if you are using KMS or ADBA.

If you are using MAK (which is CSVLK i.e. a pkey specific to your organisation), that's when you "enter another product key".

This is all the same advice for Office2010/2013/2016 (and also all other VL Channel products eg Visio/Project/etc)

This advice doesn't apply to "Retail Channel" products because those are not VL Channel.

Also, you can manually install your customised Office package, and see if the error occurs.
    You can also check the setupexe logfiles (@ %TEMP% folder) to see what's going on to diagnose failures during Office setup.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:08 PM
  • office setup.exe returns 30059, usually if you have specified an incorrect product key (5x5 characters) within your config.xml or customisation MSPfile.

OCTPatchForbidden

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347468(v=office.12).aspx

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:37 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 10:37 PM
  • What Don says about the MAK is true, however you shouldn't bother using a MAK when building a reference image anyway. Why? Because then you can use the same image no matter whether the machine will be talking to a KMS or not. You can easily add the Windows MAK using the MDT task sequence when deploying to a client. As for office it's easy to create a simple script to add the key. So even though you might have one TS for off-site and another for on-site, you can use the same image for both.

Friday, March 25, 2016 1:11 PM
  • I like your recommendation of adding a "1_" to the MSP filename. Since the options for Office installations in MDT are redundant to what's in the OCT, do you recommend using only the OCT if you need to use it at all? I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not to make settings in both places and if so, which ones take priority over the other. Thanks!

-G
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:34 PM
  • There are several advantages to using the OCT. You have tons of configuration options that are easier to manage using the tool. Your product key is not stored in clear text. You are not modifying the installation media. If you remove your MSP file then it's back to being a standard install, no worry of having missed something in case you need to reuse the media.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:19 PM
  • Thanks Dan. So, it appears that there are no settings in the MDT console that are not available in OCT. Thus, one should not worry about which group of settings would take priority because ideally, they would all be made in OCT.
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 2:48 PM