Windows 7 Logoff Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

In the last few days my computer has started to take an inordinate amount of time to log off before shutting down.

Nothing new has been installed or uninstalled, no viruses. I defragged the registry and compacted it. No change.

Event viewer says 'The winlogon notification subscriber <Profiles> is taking long time to handle the notification event (Logoff).' and 'The winlogon notification subscriber <SessionEnv> was unavailable to handle a notification event.'

Don't really have any more info than that...

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:56 AM

Answers

• Is this computer on a domain? If it is, you may have a roaming profile which the system will try to transfer to the server when you log off. You will want to contact the administrator in this case. A good possibility for this is if you recently added a lot of data to profile locations such as your documents or desktop folders.

It would also be a good idea to check the event viewer (Right click computer, manage) to see if there are any other warnings or errors listed. You can post them here if you are unsure of their involvement in the issue.

A couple of steps to try:

1. Run a hard drive test. Manufacturers of hard drives will provide a utility to test the drive (usually in the form of an ISO file which you burn to a CD). Also, some manufacturers will provide such a utility on the system which you can use. If the system is having trouble accessing portions of the drive that are needed for this operation, it can take an excessive amount of time while attempts at read/write occur.
    2. Start in Safe Mode: Restart your computer, and hit the F8 key before the windows logo normally shows up. You will get a menu, and can choose Safe Mode. Choose that, and start up. Once you are logged in wait a minute to make sure all has started, and try logging off and see if the same time is spent. If the time is drastically decreased, the issue most likely lies with a service or application holding things up. If any software was recently installed, you should remove it. A virus scan would not be a bad idea as well, as something may be running that you are unaware of.

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCTS, VCP4
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 5, 2011 5:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 12, 2011 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:27 AM

All replies

• Hi, see if Action Centre can give you any clues..

Go into "Action Centre" go to 'Maintenance' section. go to the first part and click on the "View Reliability History" - Reliability Monitor will run; and you'll be able to check for warnings and errors in there.

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hi pkn,

Thanks for your reply. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing related to logging off

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi again, you said..  Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing related to logging off

okay. Well I'd go into the screen saver settings. Select/unselect password on return. or change your screen saver time a little. So you can save your related user settings in your profile.. Apply this a couple of times too.. This might reset your settings for you.

Then log-off and log back onto windows and see if the problem is resolved..

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Hi.

Thanks for your reply, though I'm not sure I understand the connection between your solution and my tech problem - the problem happens when I shut down, so how would the screensaver be involved?

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:56 AM
  • Hi did you try it? After trying it. Then shut-down and see if it's fixed.. The part of the user profile related to screen saver, log-off password on logon are all related I think. If it does work it'll prevent you then needing to take some larger steps in an attempt to fix it - like the clean-boot, checking driver update histories, etc.

The specifics of why something seemingly unrelated fixes something else remain one of the great mysteries of computing IMO. :-)

Regards, pkn 

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Is this computer on a domain? If it is, you may have a roaming profile which the system will try to transfer to the server when you log off. You will want to contact the administrator in this case. A good possibility for this is if you recently added a lot of data to profile locations such as your documents or desktop folders.

It would also be a good idea to check the event viewer (Right click computer, manage) to see if there are any other warnings or errors listed. You can post them here if you are unsure of their involvement in the issue.

A couple of steps to try:

1. Run a hard drive test. Manufacturers of hard drives will provide a utility to test the drive (usually in the form of an ISO file which you burn to a CD). Also, some manufacturers will provide such a utility on the system which you can use. If the system is having trouble accessing portions of the drive that are needed for this operation, it can take an excessive amount of time while attempts at read/write occur.
    2. Start in Safe Mode: Restart your computer, and hit the F8 key before the windows logo normally shows up. You will get a menu, and can choose Safe Mode. Choose that, and start up. Once you are logged in wait a minute to make sure all has started, and try logging off and see if the same time is spent. If the time is drastically decreased, the issue most likely lies with a service or application holding things up. If any software was recently installed, you should remove it. A virus scan would not be a bad idea as well, as something may be running that you are unaware of.

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, MCTS, VCP4
    • Proposed as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 5, 2011 5:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, August 12, 2011 9:43 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:27 AM