Duplicate Language Culture RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

We have a situation with a couple of users that cannot run a program called Memo+ properly due to duplicate cultures present in their machines.

Funny enough is that the duplicate culture is Japanese and none of them are Japanese so I guess it got installed someway. We have an .exe file that searches for their computer for culture.name duplicates but unfortunately the source code has been lost.

We tried to install the Japanese language then removing it hoping that it will get someway removed altogether but to no avail. Same thing has been tried with system locale and with the language pack(installing and removing via PowerShell).

Any ideas on how to remove a duplicate culture from somebody's computer?

Thank you in advance!

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:47 PM

All replies

• With "duplicate culture" you mean that multiple languages are installed in parallel?
    That has been possible on Windows for a long time, so I wonder why this would be a problem for your program.
    Can you be more specific than "cannot run"?

on my system I never had Japanese installed, but have a directory
    C:\Windows\System32\ja-jp
    Perhaps that is what your program is detecting?

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 6:02 PM
  • Exactly - multiple languages are installed in parallel

By not running I mean, the program opens normally then it freezes completely and it will eventually throws an error : The type initializeer for 'Cbg.Memoplus.DomainModel.CultureToNativeName' threw an exception

I think everybody has the ja-jp folder in system32 or in syswow64 (on some occasions I saw a "ja" and a "ja-jp" folder).

The application owner told me the follow maybe it will help:

[c#] <u5:p></u5:p>

SupportedCultures = new Dictionary<string, CultureInfo>(StringComparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase); <u5:p></u5:p>

foreach (CultureInfo culture in CultureInfo.GetCultures(CultureTypes.AllCultures)) <u5:p></u5:p>

{ <u5:p></u5:p>

SupportedCultures.Add(culture.Name, culture); <u5:p></u5:p>

} <u5:p></u5:p>

<u5:p></u5:p>It's when culture.Name is occurring more than one-time Memo+ crashes since the dictionary SupportedCultures only can contain one key (first parameter) .

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 4:25 PM