none
Back up program is giving an error code 0x80780040 RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to run the backup program, the program tries to run and then stops 10 seconds in, and gives this error code. What do I need to do to?

Running Win 7 RC 7100 - x64 edition
    Monday, July 27, 2009 10:10 PM

All replies

• Getting the same error. This is the second time the backup would stop before completing and issue that error. The only way I could stop getting the error the first time was to format my external drive (the target for the backup). Wonder why it keeps happening.

I am using a Maxtor 4 Plus over firewire as the target for the backup.

Running Win 7 RC 7100 -x64 with all patches
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Hello mj1,
    Looks like the target for your backup has some service(may be SQL or similar) installed on it. That makes this volume a critical volume and hence required for creating a system image. But since this is the target, backup fails(a volume cannot be both source and target).

To confirm, can you open an elevated cmd prompt and run the following command:

"wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:<external drive letter> -allcritical"
    e.g wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:G: -allcritical

and paste the output here.

Steps to open an elevated cmd prompt:
    Search menu-> type cmd-> on cmd entry-> right click and say "run as administrator".

Thanks,
    Lokesh
    Monday, September 14, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Hello, Sorry to revive this thread but I'm getting the same error and when I tried to run the backup using the command it gives me an error because i'm trying to back up one internal HDD to another. so how can I specify the files/drive I want to back up as well as where to back them up? Otherwise, how can I just lift critical blocks on my drive?
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 7:35 AM
  • Hello mj1,
    Looks like the target for your backup has some service(may be SQL or similar) installed on it. That makes this volume a critical volume and hence required for creating a system image. But since this is the target, backup fails(a volume cannot be both source and target).

Search menu-> type cmd-> on cmd entry-> right click and say "run as administrator".

Thanks,
    Lokesh

Thank you alot for this. In command prompt it told me that I had folders on my external drive that was selected to be included on the backup. These folders where my music and movie folders that I moved the library location to (because they are huge). So after a little investigating I found out the folders were causing trouble and I was able to perfrom the backup successfully. Very helpful (you got my vote)...
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:18 AM
  • Hello mj1,

Thanks,
    Lokesh

This helped me as well. In my case, I had recently installed MongoDB on the backup target drive and installed it as a Windows service. I think what happened is that since I "let Windows choose what to back up" it was trying to back up that drive since there was a Windows service running from it.

I uninstalled MongoDB from the drive (and re-installed it elsewhere) and re-ran the backup "wizard" so it could re-detect what data was critical.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 12:45 PM