Computer in Sleep mode but comes on for 4 seconds when sleep button is hit RRS feed

• Question

• Was watching a movie on the Vaio when this first started to happen. I opened a utilities software program and ran it the background to stop the computer from trying to go sleep. Everything was OK till then. I pushed the sleep button at the end of movie and the next morning pressed the sleep button to wake up the computer and it came on for 4 seconds and went off. The computer is running, but the screen is no showing although looks perfect when the sleep button is hit. It appears that is sleep issue is happening all over the place - both with Vista and Windows 7. The differe3nce that I see with my situation is that the computer is running as normal ... only problem is that it is not showing on the screen. But when I hit the sleep button, everything show up on the screen, but only for 4 seconds. Power issue??????

I tried everything to get it working including going back to the manufacturer's original settings on the computer. Have also done the following:

1. Turned off the power and unplus and press the start button for 15 seconds

2. Got the latest video card from Sony. The update from Nvidea indicates that is not compatable with system settings.

3. Computer is Vaio desk top, so impossible to open to clean. But vacuumed where I could and unplugged and replugged RAM

4. Lowered vide3o screen resolution

5. Used Prevx.com fix

6. Allowed the network adapators to wake the up computer

7. used powercfg to turn of hibernation

8. increased performance versus energy conservation

Computer Info:

Sony VGC LS25e

Intel Core 2 T5600@1.83 Ghz

Vista (Build 6000)

RAM 2045

Any solutions. I don't think this is a hardware issue.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:19 PM

Answers

• Thanks Dale:

I have the computer running on steroids, but it is not hitting an home runs. Always goes to sleep after 4 seconds. I have come to the conclusion it is probably the LCD Inverter that is causing the problem. The computer runs fine. I can run Itunes on it or a video. Just can't see anything. The green light stays on, so there is a signal. I can also see a dim desktop in the dark with a flashlight on the screen. So I don't think this is a software issue. If I could open the Vaio case, I would be able to confirm my thinking. But the Vaio desktop is impossible to open. Will let you know when I get it back from the shop. May take 2 weeks.

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:46 AM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:21 PM

All replies

• Take it back. Looks like it may be a hardware issue. Once I can figure out how to open the Vaio all in one desktop I will test another video card. Any suggestions on how to open up the Vaio?
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

As I understand that the computer goes to black screen after resuming from sleep for 4 seconds. Do I misunderstand? If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know. To resolve this kind of problem, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

Computers that are running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 stop responding at a black screen if a screen saver is enabled

Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode

If the computer shortly shuts down after resuming from sleep, please refer to:

A computer that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 shuts down shortly after you resume the computer from hibernation

To solid troubleshoot the problem, please collect the Power Efficiency Report for further analysis.

Guided Help: Get a detailed Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report for your computer in Windows 7

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, September 10, 2010 5:42 AM
  • Thanks Dale:

I have the computer running on steroids, but it is not hitting an home runs. Always goes to sleep after 4 seconds. I have come to the conclusion it is probably the LCD Inverter that is causing the problem. The computer runs fine. I can run Itunes on it or a video. Just can't see anything. The green light stays on, so there is a signal. I can also see a dim desktop in the dark with a flashlight on the screen. So I don't think this is a software issue. If I could open the Vaio case, I would be able to confirm my thinking. But the Vaio desktop is impossible to open. Will let you know when I get it back from the shop. May take 2 weeks.

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 8:46 AM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 3:21 PM
  • You're right, it seems to be caused by hardware defect according to your description above. I'm waiting for the results. Hope that you get the issue resolved. Good luck!

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, September 13, 2010 3:14 AM