none
Windows won't start pci.sys error 0xc0000098 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to use MDT 2013 to deploy a custom WIM into a VMware workstation virtual machine. I've done this in the past and it worked fine with other images. The file copy part of the deployment works fine until it gets to the first reboot. Then, Windows 7 fails to load with the following message.

"Windows failed to start. A recent hard or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem..."

The file in question is pci.sys (no path given)

I have the drivers mapped by hardware model from WMI. VMware virtual platform is not among those models. I tried adding the VMware drivers to Windows PE and my deployment share, but WinPE couldn't even boot the VM at that point, so I had to remove them. How can I edit/diagnose a problem with a file if I can't get the image deployed. The image won't deploy to physical hardware either, blue screens result.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Jason

Thursday, June 11, 2015 2:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I removed all traces of the VMware drivers from the deployment share. I tried a new task sequence on the deployment share, and that worked. I didn't need to rebuild the WIM, thankfully, and it was OK as-is. I still think it was the VMware drivers I was trying to incorporate into the imaging process that was fouling everything up. I hope this helps...

Jason

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:57 PM

All replies

• Sounds like your WIM file has corrupted. Do you have a copy you can restore? If not you probably need to build a new reference image.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:23 PM
  • I really hope that is not the case. It took weeks to build that image. 

Thanks!

Jason

Thursday, June 11, 2015 10:57 PM
  • I am still getting these error messages and it is baffling that I cannot figure out which driver is causing this. The image works fine on other MDT deployment shares, so I don't think it is that. Is there a way to find out which driver is the culprit?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, August 17, 2015 7:44 PM
  • Elimination troubleshooting is what I would do.  Install a machine with zero drivers.  If it is failing then it is something in your image.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, August 17, 2015 9:30 PM
  • How do you install a machine with zero drivers? My deployment share is configured to inject drivers by model from CustomSettings.ini. Do I just delete the drivers for the model I am trying to deploy to? As it stands right now, I can't deploy to anything without the pci.sys error showing up. It would be real nice if the error messages told you something useful.

Jason

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:40 PM
  • How do you install a machine with zero drivers? My deployment share is configured to inject drivers by model from CustomSettings.ini. Do I just delete the drivers for the model I am trying to deploy to? As it stands right now, I can't deploy to anything without the pci.sys error showing up. It would be real nice if the error messages told you something useful.

Jason

Disable the actions named "Inject Drivers". You can do this by selecting it then clicking on the "Options" tab.
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 12:50 PM
  • Thanks. I should have thought of that originally. What will it prove though, it won't let me know which driver(s) are causing the problems?

Jason

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 2:08 PM

If no drivers are injected and things fail then rebuild your image

else test half of your normally added drivers

if half of your drivers fails then test the other half without the failing half

etcetera.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:25 PM
  • Hi Jason, did you ever solve this problem?

I'm struggling with the exact same error message, and we've tried disabling "inject drivers" to no avail..

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 7:38 AM
  • Hi,

I removed all traces of the VMware drivers from the deployment share. I tried a new task sequence on the deployment share, and that worked. I didn't need to rebuild the WIM, thankfully, and it was OK as-is. I still think it was the VMware drivers I was trying to incorporate into the imaging process that was fouling everything up. I hope this helps...

Jason

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 12:57 PM