WSUS : What command can i use on a workstation to install the pending updates now ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have group policies to install pending MS updates on workstations set to various days / times.
    The updates come from an onsite WSUS server.

The users have asked for a big red button on their desktop, which they can press to install any pending updates on their workstations.

I have written a powershell script to give them the control they feel they need

It tells them how many patches are waiting and if there are patches pending then gives them the opportunity to install them.

What I can't seem to find is an easy way to simply install just the already downloaded pending updates?

Any ideas ?

Cheers

Aidey

• Edited by aideyuk Monday, March 27, 2017 8:47 AM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 11:09 AM

All replies

• Try to look here:

https://www.petri.com/manage-windows-updates-with-powershell-module

Basically just repeat the command you use to install the updates without the parameter "-DownloadOnly". The update management knows which updates have been downloaded before and installs them from local resources.

Best regards,

Taras Shved

StarWind Software

Blog:   Twitter:   LinkedIN:  

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, March 24, 2017 2:40 PM
  • Hi Taras,

Thats an interesting script but way over kill for what I need.

All I need is a way to install the pending updates that have already been downloaded to a workstation.
    They will get installed automatically on the day time set by the relevant group policy.

However say on one day the scheduled time is inconvenient for the user we would like a secondary start the install now method so the user can install them when they want.

Monday, March 27, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hi aideyuk,

Since you are searching for a specific script to meet specific requirements, you'd turn to a script professional, since WSUS forum is more related about the management of WSUS server and issues when using WSUS server to deploy updates for clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:49 AM