Intranet sites design RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

I'm redesigning an existing wss 3.0 intranet, currently this intranet has some site collections asociated to company areas (which is  a common scenario), however most of that sites(17 overall) has very little data, there are sites with less to 2 mb stored and only a few with more than 80 mb up to 600mb.

Given that many of these site collections are few data and that its growth will not be much, I like to know your feedback about to group these into a single site collection with your own data base or it's better idea keep them as they are.

Thanks, I would appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

• Changed type Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 1, 2011 2:22 PM q
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 1, 2011 2:23 PM asking for suggestions. Not a collaboration question (From:SharePoint - Collaboration (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, April 1, 2011 2:08 PM

Answers

• hi,

It is possible to move multiple site collections to a single site collection as sub sites . You need to use stsadm -o export / import commands to do this.

It is not possible to move site collections along with databases as subsites.

So you need to choose one site collection and then the database associated to it and then follow stsadm -o export/import. Once you are sure about the data you can delete the site collections or detach those databases from central admin.

You have also another option, moving all site collections from multiple databases to a single database. You can achieve this by using stsadm mergecontentdb

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc825326%28office.12%29.aspx

you can also use batch site manager to move site collections from multiple databases to one db that comes with admin tool kit for sharepoint:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc508852%28office.12%29.aspx

In my opinion moving these site collections is completely depend on how the security , permissions, sensitivity of the data is desined in those site collections.

Finally, Moving small site collections to a single database is my recommendation. ( you need to work hard on permissions if you choose export/import method)

Best Regards, Ashok Yadala
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 1, 2011 3:05 PM very good English but *please* always spell out "you" and don't use u !
    • Marked as answer by David HM Monday, April 11, 2011 1:24 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 2:52 PM