none
Upgrade from Vista 32 OEM to W7 64 with new HD and old HD? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new Western Digital 1.5 TB Green and want to upgrade my desktop computer from Vista 32 to W7 64.

The existing hd is a 250 GB (Acer) running Vista 32 Ultimate. I would like to install W7 64 on the new 1.5 TB Green and use it as the main drive and boot from it. I would also like to use the existing 250GB Acer drive as a secondary drive.

I have bought the Windows 7 Premium Home upgrade and understand that I will have to use a "Custom install" of W7 to move to the 64 bit version. 

The Vista Ultimate is an OEM version and I was not provided with a Vista bootable DVD. The old 250 GB drive is the current boot drive.  BTW - I do have the sticker on the side of the computer with the authetication code.

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor and it is happy with my system. I have backed-up all my important files to a USB drive and am ready to install the new 1.5 Green and Windows 7 upgrade.

How do I ensure that the new 1.5 TB WD Green is the boot drive with proper authentication and what is the best way to do this upgrade?

-peter

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:16 AM

Answers

• If you might need to reinstall Vista Ultimate, create a restore disk and drivers and utilities disks from the restore partition on the 250 GB disk.

1. Set the 1.5TB Caviar Green as the primary boot drive in the BIOS.
    2. Boot from the Windows 7 upgrade disk and when asked where to install you have 2 options:
    • Just highlight the free space on the 1.5TB disk as where to install and let the install proceed. This will create a dual boot installation. You can use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to edit the boot menu and then format the 250GB disk.
    • Select Drive options (advanced), delete the partitions on the 250GB drive and highlight the space on the Caviar Green as where to install. This will create a single Windows 7 installation. Any old files you have not backed up will be unavailable.

If you ever need to reinstall the Windows 7 Upgrade, see Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:10 PM

All replies

• If you might need to reinstall Vista Ultimate, create a restore disk and drivers and utilities disks from the restore partition on the 250 GB disk.

1. Set the 1.5TB Caviar Green as the primary boot drive in the BIOS.
    2. Boot from the Windows 7 upgrade disk and when asked where to install you have 2 options:
    • Just highlight the free space on the 1.5TB disk as where to install and let the install proceed. This will create a dual boot installation. You can use EasyBCD from http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to edit the boot menu and then format the 250GB disk.
    • Select Drive options (advanced), delete the partitions on the 250GB drive and highlight the space on the Caviar Green as where to install. This will create a single Windows 7 installation. Any old files you have not backed up will be unavailable.

If you ever need to reinstall the Windows 7 Upgrade, see Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 12:10 PM
  • I have been able to install Windows 7 on the new 1.5 TB drive.  I had a dual boot system as described.  Recently I ran EasyBCD and removed the dual boot.  The computer now only boots into Windows 7. 

I have not been able to format the old 250 GB Windows Vista drive.  I have been able to remove the non system partition on that 250 GB drive.  When I try to format the drive from Windows Explorer the error message I get is "Windows was unable to complete the format". Under Computer Management Disk Management the error message is "Windows cannot format the system partition on this disk". 

How do I format the old drive?

Sunday, January 16, 2011 11:59 PM