Cannot unlock bitlocker just after setup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, please i need important help because i cannot unlock bitlocker and i need to access my PC asap.

Im using windows 10 pro 1903. 

After the setup of bitlocker and saving the recovery key in a USB, i believe there was a checkbot saying if i wanted to check the recovery key is working on the first startup of windows, i mantained it checked.

What happends now is that the bitlocker blue screen appears 2-3 times after booting, im entering the correct password because it doesnt say is incorrect (And of course i rememeber it) and after that it goes throw "Recovery options" saying to enter my recovery key or enter a USB containing it. I assume this is the expected behaviour after selecting the option of checking if the recovery key is working, the problem is that it doesnt. Writing or using the USB reports it as wrong, the code to match the password IS THE SAME  but still no luck. 

I have tried to use the manage-bde unlock command in the cmd, the curious thing is that the output after entering the passw is "the drive cannot be unlocked" so its clear the password is okey but for some reason it refuses to unlock and the recovery key not working idk why.

Any help will be highly appreciated i cannot lose all my years pc work. Thanks

Monday, April 22, 2019 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Have you received any error codes, please?

As the article mentioned: Known issues in this update->Issue 1

Some users who have Bitlocker have reported that their computers do not always start up to the BitLocker password entry screen. Instead, the computer sometimes starts up to a solid blue screen or an orange screen that has white stripes. The Bitlocker password entry field is still available, but hidden by the blue or orange and white screen. If you experience this issue, type your Bitlocker password and then press Enter to start the computer. Then, type the following command at an elevated command prompt to ensure that the font files that are needed to start the computer are synched correctly to the system partition:
    bfsvc.exe %windir%\boot /v 

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Edited by hurry yang Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:46 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2019 2:40 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply, no error codes are shown and that issue is not the case.

Is there a page where i can see the know issues of the latest builds? The rollout of version 1903 is not fully completed yet, could be a bug in the latest version? 

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 6:21 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please refer to the following link on known issues of the latest builds:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2019/03/05/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-18351/

The content you mentioned is not currently found in the post, please try to roll back win10 1809 for checking.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2019 1:35 AM
  • Hi, i cannot rollback, the bitlocker encrypted the entire windows partition.

My best guess at this point is a bug in the bitlocker recovery key checker, is like the sistem got in a loop where it cannot unlock the system before checking the recovery key is correct but it keeps saying the recovery key is wrong or not found so i cannot unlock it.

I really need some help at this point, otherwise all my data will be lost.

thanks

Thursday, April 25, 2019 8:08 PM
  • Hi,

Please try the following M3 BitLocker Recovery 3rd software to perform data recovery:

https://www.m3datarecovery.com/bitlocker-drive-data-recovery/bitlocker-drive-wont-unlock-with-correct-password-recovery-key.html

Or you can wait for an up-to-date update if it is convenient.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best regards,

Hurry

• Edited by hurry yang Friday, April 26, 2019 1:51 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2019 1:49 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:36 AM
  • Can you provide some photo with that issue? 

So, we can help to check out what's the issue root cause...

Live For Now

Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:58 AM
  • Hi, i spend the last days trying to recover the data with the program you mentioned. No luck, the program apparently accepts the password but after hours the results are like corrupted or invalid random files, im in contact with the program support to see why that happens.

In the meantime i realize with the manage-bde -protectors command that the identificator of the .BEK file is the same of the file i saved at bitlocker setup. Even with the same identificator bitlocker reports the .bek file as invalid. "Could not found any valid recovery files in the usb".

Im desperate right now, this seems a problem with bitlocker in 1903.

Any ideas? 

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:01 PM
  • Hi, i cannot add images to technet, but i created a post on reddit with images, until technet verifies my account and allows me to post images.

slash r slash Windows10 slash comments slash bhrbup slash bitlocker_problem_in_1903

Recostruct the url please.

Thank you
    Wednesday, May 1, 2019 9:12 PM
  • Hi, 

What do you get from the program support, please?

Maybe it is a bug to repair. Please try to use win10 1809 and check.

Best regards,

Hurry

Friday, May 3, 2019 7:43 AM