none
DPM tape backup migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Is there a way to migrate an agent from one DPM server to another along with the historical tape backups? I can see a disk backup migration by creating a primary-secondary DPM sync or by manually copying the data to DPM replica volumes. But I can't figure out a way to migrate the tape backups associated with that agent to the new DPM server. The motivation is to power off and recycle the old DPM boxes, so they will not be available for tape recovery. Since we have a one year long-term data retention policy for tape backups, we need to migrate them as well to the new DPM server. Can someone verify if it's possible?

Pavit

Pavit Bhutani

Monday, September 28, 2015 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

backup SQL DB

shutdown old SCDPM

install new SCDPM Server with same Version and same name

attach Backup Disk from old Server

Import SQL DB

Michael Seidl

SYSCTR Senior Consultant, Blogger, CEO

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn | Xing | Youtube

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:21 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your response.

We don't want to replace old DPM servers with new ones, as we will be moving to Azure backup by the end of next year. And we don't want to extend hardware maintenance contract for the old DPM servers, because that involves a significant investment. I'll provide some more details about the scenario:

We have a total of 10 DPM servers in our infrastructure, 3 of them are due for replacement triggered by hardware lifecycle management. We want to move all agents from the 3 old DPM servers to the other 7 DPM servers along with the historical tape backups. We have enough disk capacity to accommodate this. This will be followed by recycling of the 3 servers, their storage and their tape libraries.

Disk backups can be moved by creating a primary-secondary DPM sync and phasing out the primary DPM after one point. Or by re-configuring the agents and point them to the 7 DPM servers and then manually copying the data to the replica volumes. This is feasible, no foreseeable caveats.

We also want to move the historical tape backups from the 3 old DPM servers to the other 7 DPM servers. This is to avoid having to run the 3 old DPM servers just for the purpose of occasional data recovery. Is it possible to add the tape media and library information from the 3 DPM servers to the 7 DPM servers that will remain? So that we are still able to do a file-level recovery as we do now? I reckon this will involve some complex changes in the DPM databases, but it would be really helpful if you can give a direction to pursue.

Pavit

Pavit Bhutani

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:58 PM