Son closed laptop and now windows 7 professional is extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• My lovely son in a fit of rage decided to slam the laptop closed, now whenever i turn the it on it's painfully slow. just wondered if there is something i can do to revert it back to normal??
    Friday, August 12, 2011 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

According the issue, I want to know whether you mean slow start-up, or start slow?

Actually, many issue may cause a Windows startup problem, I wondering whether you may find an Event log in “Computer management ->Event Viewer ->Windows log -> system” which Event ID is 100,such as:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date:          7/12/2010 7:30:48 PM

Event ID:      100

You may post this log here, then we could check the detail boot time list.

At the beginning of troubleshooting, I suggest that you may try to clean windows temp file and try to boot your system again.

Also you may try to run Windows 7 in Safe Mode.

Since any third-party will not startup in Safe Mode, and the hardware drivers only load the basic elements in Safe Mode. We can narrow down whether this problem is caused by any third-party software and drivers.

If this problem disappears in Safe Mode, please upgrade all the drivers and run Windows 7 as normal again.In case the problem persists, you may perform a Clean Boot and use half and half method to find the root cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If this problem occurs in safe mode again, please use chkdsk /f command to check the disk.

1.       Click Start button, move to All Programs ->Accessories.

2.       Right click the Command Prompt, run as administrator.

3.       Type chkdsk /f in Command Prompt. Then check the result.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:10 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

The startup time of your system might increase by the presence of viruses and spyware in your system.

Viruses in your system affect the booting time of your system.

Spyware is another type of virus which is another reason for the slow start up of your system.

You need to use antivirus software to remove viruses and spyware from your system.

Outdated or incompatible antivirus software might make your computer start slower.

You need to use latest version of the software to solve the issue.

Get more information to fix windows 7 startup error :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-startup-slow.html

Hope this information helps you.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:38 AM

All replies

• You could try doing a System Restore to a time just before he slammed it closed.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:20 PM
  • I had already thought of that but system restore had never been set up for some reason. is there anything else i could do?

Friday, August 12, 2011 1:26 PM
  • You say it is slow when turning it on.  Is it just on start-up that it is slow?

Check the Event Viewer around start-up time for any telling errors or warnings.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Friday, August 12, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

According the issue, I want to know whether you mean slow start-up, or start slow?

Actually, many issue may cause a Windows startup problem, I wondering whether you may find an Event log in “Computer management ->Event Viewer ->Windows log -> system” which Event ID is 100,such as:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date:          7/12/2010 7:30:48 PM

Event ID:      100

You may post this log here, then we could check the detail boot time list.

At the beginning of troubleshooting, I suggest that you may try to clean windows temp file and try to boot your system again.

Also you may try to run Windows 7 in Safe Mode.

Since any third-party will not startup in Safe Mode, and the hardware drivers only load the basic elements in Safe Mode. We can narrow down whether this problem is caused by any third-party software and drivers.

If this problem disappears in Safe Mode, please upgrade all the drivers and run Windows 7 as normal again.In case the problem persists, you may perform a Clean Boot and use half and half method to find the root cause.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If this problem occurs in safe mode again, please use chkdsk /f command to check the disk.

1.       Click Start button, move to All Programs ->Accessories.

2.       Right click the Command Prompt, run as administrator.

3.       Type chkdsk /f in Command Prompt. Then check the result.

Hope that helps

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

The startup time of your system might increase by the presence of viruses and spyware in your system.

Viruses in your system affect the booting time of your system.

Spyware is another type of virus which is another reason for the slow start up of your system.

You need to use antivirus software to remove viruses and spyware from your system.

Outdated or incompatible antivirus software might make your computer start slower.

You need to use latest version of the software to solve the issue.

Get more information to fix windows 7 startup error :

http://supportformicrosoft.iyogi.com/windows-7/windows-7-startup-slow.html

Hope this information helps you.

Monday, August 22, 2011 5:38 AM