none
Latest virtual image won't load, but works OK in Production? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again gang,

Time to update my "thin / golden image" but I'm afraid something has broken or I'm missing something.  First my current image installs fine in production, it's just a little outdated.

Some history: So a few weeks ago I edited the .WIM file via imagex and made a few changes to files and folders, all really basic stuff.  I have since tested THIS newer .WIM and it's working fine.  So now all I want to do is load THAT image into my VMWARE and perform additional cleanup, updates and re-sysprep and capture that.

Sounds easy but I cannot get my VM to load this image, am I missing something??  I admit I did some maintenance to the other 4 images and HID them from view (only).   Is it a matter of unhiding? Could it be that simple?

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:30 PM

Answers

• Have you tried creating a new VM and trying to boot to MDT on that one?  If the VM isn't giving you the "boot from CD" option, then it probably isn't an issue with MDT or loading of your reference image for update as much an issue with VM configuration.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Marked as answer by BWB Mark Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry for the delay.

I can no longer use my VMWare at all to test..WTH happened ...uhg!

Maybe this is a residual affect of my last SYSPREP/CAPTURE from a while back.. (I've been using it successfully)

Now, in VMWare it tries to PXE boot only...(which I don't use), then after exiting that, I get "No O/S is found"... Need to force it to use my LiteTouchPE_x64....

Dumb me. Need CD to find litetouch ISO image.. Be back shortly, hopefully with a "FIXED!"
    • Marked as answer by BWB Mark Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:04 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:21 PM

All replies

• Need to explain precisely what's happening. What do you mean by it won't "load?" Are you PXE booting, does the task sequence not show up at all, does the image not apply, etc.

-Nick O.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 2:58 PM
  • Sorry Nick.

MDt2012 -1

I've been deploying machines using a thin image.  I decided to do a minor edit, so I used Imagex to load the custom thin .WIM image just to add a few needed file into the DOWNLOADS folder and that's all. (a few weeks ago)

Now I've decided that M$ has released a few updates, and it'd be nice to get those into the image as well (though keeping it "thin", no apps.).

I've used a VM to do all my testing in the past, but today I'm not even getting the prompt to "boot from CD", therefore it repeatedly loads a slightly older image.  But the odd thing is, when I get an actual machine and boot from my CD I created (rather than pxe) it loads the current image that I tweaked using imagex, where if I do this virtually in VM, it loads the older one.

I need the VM to load the newer .WIM file so I can add updates and do some cleanup.. 

Did this help? (And is it obvious I still call myself a rookie at this ?)

Thanks! BWB

PS: Is your employer in NJ? Pretty sure I know this name, and I thank you if it is... (In NJ-Morris County now)

• Edited by BWB Mark Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:13 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Have you tried creating a new VM and trying to boot to MDT on that one?  If the VM isn't giving you the "boot from CD" option, then it probably isn't an issue with MDT or loading of your reference image for update as much an issue with VM configuration.

• Marked as answer by BWB Mark Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:38 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello again David my friend...  Heh, the image hasn't changed much since our last huge success.Been a deploying maniac since if I don't say so myself..  Original post=  http://tinyurl.com/DCtheGeekLink

I have not tried that, no. So nervous trying new stuff for fear of overwriting... 

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Yup, that was an epic and long thread, hopefully it has helped you and others. : )

You don't need to do anything to the VM you already have, just see if you can create a new one and boot it with the CD and get your new WIM onto it.  This won't damage what you have, just hopefully fix the issue your existing VM seems to have.  The VM used for capturing really doesn't matter... in fact, if you are using Hyper-V, about the only thing that makes them different is the name you give them and the MAC address they would have (important if you are doing full automated through CustomSettings.ini), neither of which is stored in the captured WIM.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 3:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Right. If you wanted, you could create and delete a new VM every time you wanted to deploy and capture an image.

And thanks for the nod. The corporate office is based in Baton Rouge, LA, but we have offices all over the country. 

-Nick O.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.

Maybe this is a residual affect of my last SYSPREP/CAPTURE from a while back.. (I've been using it successfully)

Now, in VMWare it tries to PXE boot only...(which I don't use), then after exiting that, I get "No O/S is found"... Need to force it to use my LiteTouchPE_x64....

Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:15 PM
  • Sorry for the delay.

Dumb me. Need CD to find litetouch ISO image.. Be back shortly, hopefully with a "FIXED!"
    • Marked as answer by BWB Mark Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:04 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Yup, that was it, and I needed to update the DShare.... Carry on...  ;)
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:38 PM