Reset File Associations for Virtual Apps? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have sequenced Office 2010 to use virtually with our current install of office 2003.  When I deploy the Office 2010 package, it takes over the file associations for .docx, .doc, .xls etc etc etc as it should.

After a few days, the file associations are reverting back to 2003 for some reason.  Is there a way to force the package to reset the file associations without deleting and redeploying the package?  Also, does anyone know why 2003 would take the associations back over?  I have tried sftmime /repair but it doesn't seem to help.  I am deploying to a Windows 7 environment.

Thanks

Rosy_55

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

App-V applications delivered via SCCM only sets tha FTAs when the advertisement is executed. Repairing an application will not re-execute the advertisement, but will only delete PKG (settings file) for the user.

If your FTAs are lost at one point - something is triggering this. As per Aarons suggestion, it could be that group policies are reseting this. It could also be that your Office 2003 installation repairs itself (should be seen in the event log).

You need to identify what overtakes the FTA and resolve that.

A bad workaround would be to schedule to the advertisement to run at intervals. That would  need some serious testing though...

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rosy_55 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:54 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can remove the file type associations from the package. If you are using the Application Virtualization Management Server they can be removed from the File Type Association icon.

See this page, which explains where in the wizard you can edit shortcuts;

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg507654.aspx

If they are removed after a few days I would assume that a change has been made either in the package or the infrastructure distributing it.

/Znack
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Actually its the associations in the virtual package that I want to stay.   Just to clarify, Office 2010 is running virtually, and Office 2003 is locally installed.  The 2010 associations properly apply from the virtual package, but then the locally installed 2003 decided it wants to take back over after awhile....seems it is resisting its ultimate demise!

Rosy_55 

Monday, November 14, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Hello,

How are you distributing the applications?
    /Znack
    Monday, November 14, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Are you doing anything in the user environment that would overwrite HKCU\Software\Classes, such as using a custom profile management tool or a script?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Hi again,

We are deploying our Virtual Apps via SCCM.   Office 2003 was locally installed into our Windows 7 Image....for now.  As far as as I know, there are no profile management tools or scripts that would affect the local user profile / HKCU.  Are there any GPOs that could affect the associations? 

Thanks

rosy_55

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:26 PM
  • File Type Associations can be managed with Group Policy Preferences. Use the Group Policy Management tool to create a report to see what policies are in place.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hello,

App-V applications delivered via SCCM only sets tha FTAs when the advertisement is executed. Repairing an application will not re-execute the advertisement, but will only delete PKG (settings file) for the user.

If your FTAs are lost at one point - something is triggering this. As per Aarons suggestion, it could be that group policies are reseting this. It could also be that your Office 2003 installation repairs itself (should be seen in the event log).

You need to identify what overtakes the FTA and resolve that.

A bad workaround would be to schedule to the advertisement to run at intervals. That would  need some serious testing though...

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rosy_55 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:54 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:46 PM
  • Hi,

I redeployed Office 2010 and the settings appear to be sticking this time.  I made no changes, however I noticed that the systems having the issue were previously running Office 2010 in XP mode as a tempory workaround until I had it sequenced to run with 2003 still installed.  This shouldn't cause this as far as I know, just an interesting coincidence.  Thanks again for all your help and suggestions, they are always greatly appreciated.

Rosy_55

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:57 PM