none
Can't open project anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are currently working on an issue concerning the behavior of MS Project Professional 2010 in relation with Project Server 2010.

After some task update via the project server interface (PSI), we cannot open the project anymore. It just shows a dialog box saying something like "1 update has been accepted for the project. Would you like to close the project and carry the update over?" and there the user has two options "yes" and "no", both leading to not opening the project and the same issue on the next try. The project server queue has no entries for this project. How could I track the reason for it down? And how can I reopen the project? (most importantly)

Thank you all for you help, Tom

Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:36 PM

All replies

• Hi there,

Can you open the project and edit this in PWA? Save and publish the project from PWA, close and check it in. Then try from Project Pro again.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:14 AM
  • Hey Paul, thanks for your quick advice!

Unfortunately we're not able to edit the project in PWA since "Editing is not supported: This project contains tasks with task calendars". We don't want to remove all task calendars (that would propably destroy the project plan), so do I have other options to resolve my issue?

Thank you, Tom

Monday, March 25, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Hi there,

Can you try and publish this project via the PSI then see if it will open via Project Pro? You can easily publish this project via the PSI using PowerShell. Example can be seen in a blog post I wrote a while back:

http://pwmather.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/publish-specified-projects-in-projectserver-using-powershell-msproject-ps2010-sp2010/

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Hi Paul,

I published the project via PSI using the ProjTool of the Project SDK, but I still get the above message. If I click on "No" - no, I don't want to close the project for carry over the updates - it will open. But how do I get rid of this update or how do I accept it? The approval center is empty by the way.

Thanks again, Tom

Monday, March 25, 2013 7:04 PM
  • Hello,

Short reminder: If we open project via Project Professional, it states a message box saying that there are updates for my project and whether I want to close the project for carrying over the updates ('no') or want to open the project anyways ('yes'). When I click 'yes' the project is being opened and I can edit it. If I click on 'no', the project is being closed and next time I open Project Prof the same text box arises.

Just tried some other possibilies:

1) Again publishing the project in Project Prof. and via ProjTool from the Project SDK. Both did not result in any solution.

2) Saving the project under a new name. This resolved the issue, but it's not an option to us.

What other options do we have? Where are those "updates" that are mentioned in the message box saved in the database?? Would it be an option to just delete some data from the the appropriate tables in the database?

I really much appreciate your help!

Tom

Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:28 PM