iSCSI Initiator - Connection Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with one of our cluster nodes and it's connection the SAN where all the VMs are stored.  I came in this morning to find a warning on the SAN, with a bit of further investigation I found that one of the sessions on the iSCSI initiator was in a "Reconnecting" status.  I removed it, but was unable to re-add it, every time I try I get the error "Connection Failed".

I migrated all VMs off the node and restarted it to see if that would make a difference, it hasn't.

In the System event log, when I try and create the connection I am getting 2 errors:

1) Initiator failed to connect to the target.  Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data

and

2) Error occurred when processing iSCSI logon request.  The request was not retried.  Error status is given in the dump data.

There doesn't appear to be a problem with the SAN as other nodes are connected to it perfectly fine.

OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Datacenter

Does anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Cheers

Adam.

• Edited by adamf83 Monday, March 25, 2013 1:15 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Answers

• Turned out to be a storage problem.  A restart of the storage device fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by adamf83 Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:06 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you even see the targets on the node, after a refresh. What if happens of you re-add the discovery portal?

//
    Best Regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:48 AM
  • Hi,

> Initiator failed to connect to the target. Target IP address and TCP Port number are given in dump data.

This event is logged when the initiator could not make a TCP connection to the given target portal. The dump data in this event will contain the Target IP address and TCP port to which initiator could not make a TCP connection.

This issue occurs for one or more of the following reasons.

1. An iSCSI target device that is listed on the Favorite Targets tab of the iSCSI Initiator is no longer accessible. This may occur if the iSCSI target device name is changed, if the IP address is changed, or if the iSCSI target device is removed from the network.
    2. The iSCSI target device has reached its limit for the number of incoming connections.
    3. A transient network issue temporarily prevented connectivity to the iSCSI target device.

4. The network stack is not fully prepared when the initiator was trying to connect to persistent targets. The initiator will retry to connect. When the network stack is fully prepared, connection should be successfully established.

Resolution:

• If you receive this error when the iSCSI target device that is listed on the Favorite Targets tab no longer exists, you can resolve this issue by removing the iSCSI target device from the list of favorite targets.
    • If you receive this error, and you cannot access an iSCSI target device that is still configured on the network, make sure that the client computer has network connectivity to the iSCSI target and make sure that name resolution is working correctly.
    • If you have successfully connected to your iSCSI target device despite this error, it indicates that the connectivity issue was temporary. Therefore, you can safely ignore this Error event.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Error event ID 5 is logged in the System log on a computer that uses the iSCSI Software Initiator to connect to an iSCSI target device
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972107
    Event ID 1, event ID 5, event ID 70, or event ID 113 may be logged in the System log on a computer that uses the iSCSI Software Initiator to connect to an iSCSI target device
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976072/EN-US

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:31 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? Have you resolved the problem or do you have any further progress?

If there is anything that we can do for you, please do not hesitate to let us know, and we will be happy to help.

Lawrence

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Still investigating this with the storage vendor (Dell).  At the moment I am unclear if it's a storage problem, server problem or software problem.
    Monday, April 1, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Turned out to be a storage problem.  A restart of the storage device fixed it.
    • Marked as answer by adamf83 Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

You experience and solution can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your contribution to Windows Server Forum!

Have a nice day!

Lawrence

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:32 AM
  • I had a similar issue with a two node cluster throwing event IDs 1,70, 113.

Resolved it by reassigning the target disks to a new target name and pointing the initiators to it.

After that you can see the iscsi disks at the same state as with the old target name and you can also delete the old target to avoid further confusion.

• Edited by Al3xT Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:58 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 8:58 PM
  • I just want to add another possible solution here to the same problem - I had to recover my Hyper-V enviroment with iscsi virtual disks and virtual nodes with initiator installed. At node´s initiator, I got hard cold "connection failed" error when attempting to establish connection to the target group. For some reason, my Windows firewall was on, and it stopped the connection between host holding vdisks and virtual nodes.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 1:41 PM
  • not for me. Solved after service "Microsoft iSCSI Target Server" restarted on nas server hosted by microsoft 
    Tuesday, March 31, 2020 1:14 PM