none
e-mail solution needed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been searching for some time for a solution to my e-mail management and would appreciate any advice.  It seems like it should be a simple solution but I can't seem to get my head around it.

Current situation:
    I have Outlook 2007 on my PC using Windows XP, which contains around 5 mail accounts (5 inboxes and 5 separate folder structures), and around 100,000 e-mails.  I know, I need to archive but I don't know where to start but I figure the minute I draw a line in the sand of what is "too old" I will need to step over the line.  I am confused whether to convert all .pst files into .mbox and use the MacBook as the ultimate "destination" for e-mail thereby cleaning them off the relevant servers.  Or I've wondered about converting to IMAP.  I have also wondered about how to manage all the attachments on these e-mails (thousands) and how to de-tach them and replace them with a link to another location (local or Web) so that mail files themselves can be minimised in size.  I have debated whether to migrate everything to Mail for Mac, Outlook 2011 for Mac, leaving everything on Outlook 2007 for PC, POP, IMAP, Outlook Web access but quite confused about all the options and hope to be able to get some clarity from any of you.

I would like to be able to achieve all of the following:
    1. Access all my e-mail on a MacBook Pro.
    2. Access all my e-mail on a Windows PC.
    3. Access all my e-mail whilst travelling in case I need to use an Internet cafe (normally I would have my MacBook, but this is a backup just in case).
    4. Keep a mirrored local copy of my e-mail on my MacBook Pro so that I may work on e-mails offline if necessary, and also so that every e-mail I access possibly through a Web version of an e-mail application does not need to "download" every message as I view it, but there is already a copy on the local machine which only needs to synch up with the Web when there are changes only.
    5. Same as Number 4 except pertaining to a Windows PC.

Feel free to forward this to anyone in case I have posted not on the best forum.

Best regards,
    mikeych

• Moved by Ysateas Fobbs MSFT Friday, June 17, 2011 9:45 PM More of technical inquiries than pre-sales, Reassigning to best queue to better assist. (From:Microsoft Online Services Customer Portal)
    Friday, June 17, 2011 2:06 AM

All replies