none
Description under the project name field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

It looks like MS have added a description to the Project Name field ('Specify a name for the template Project').  Does anyone know how I can hide/remove/change this.  The problem is that in our case the project name is actually the project ID (in order to ensure unique projects) and we've created another field called 'Name of Project'.

Many thanks

James

• Edited by JamesP435 Monday, November 21, 2016 1:52 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2016 1:52 PM

Answers

• I think it is the EPT description:

You find this description under the project name field in the PDP.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi James,

I'd say "bad idea". The project name is an out of the box field which might be used in a lot of context, for example in MS Project Pro, you'll see it in the window bar. An ID will not be meaningful. Anyway this is a mandatory field so you cannot remove it (it is not available in the enterprise custom fields).

I'd rather suggest to use the project name field as the project name, and to use the Project ID field (another out of the box field, configurable from the EPT section) as the project ID. Seems simple but I'll make your life easier.

Is there any particular reason for not using the native fields or mixing them up?

Hope this helps,

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Hi Guillaume

Fully agree usually but in this case it is better to use the ID for the project name.  But MS seem to have recently added a description to the project name box and it's the description that I want to hide,remove or change, not the field.  Hope this makes sense

James

Andrew Binnz

Monday, November 21, 2016 11:52 PM
  • I see what you mean. This is actually a description entered in the Enterprise Project Type settings under PWA/Enterprise Project Types. You can remove it or enter whatever description you need for each EPT.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 7:52 AM
  • I don't see this, any chance of a screen shot?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:04 PM
  • I think it is the EPT description:

You find this description under the project name field in the PDP.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by JamesP435 Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 6:26 PM
  • I'm not seeing anything new here...  the EPT description for me appears where it always has, as does the Project Description field.  Maybe it's just late in the UK!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:21 PM
  • Indeed Ben, you're right, nothing new. I think that James was just asking where does this description come from and how it could be changed.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:33 PM
  • Looking at my instance of Project Online the description picks up two parts - the "specify a name for the" element looks to be something you cannot change, the subsequent part of that description displayed beneath the Project Name field in any PDP where it is displayed is the name of the EPT that was used to create the project.

I took a look at editing PDP's where the name field is displayed and there does not appear to be any option to edit this Required Fields associated description.

Agree with Guiilaume's suggestion on Project ID defined in EPT's.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:42 PM