Burn a disk RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 10 I am trying to burn a DVD to a second DVD.  Since I only have one DVD I cannot figure out how to do it.

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:04 PM

Answers

• Hi SANDFANG.

The first step is creating an ISO file from the original DVD; the exact procedure to produce this file varies according to the burning program you're using.
    This ISO file will be used in the second step to burn a blank DVD, in order to have a perfect copy of the original DVD.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, May 5, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Windows includes rudimentary support for burning a DVD, but does not include a media copy function. You need a CD/DVD authoring program.  There are many commercial and free programs.  Here's one free example  http://infrarecorder.org/

NOTE Be careful! Just about all freeware today may bundle crap or malware. Watch carefully for pre-checked check boxes set to install other items.

Alternatively, if the DVD you want to copy is just a data DVD (i.e. isn't bootable) you could copy the content to your hard drive temporarily and then use Windows to burn a blank DVD with those files.

(Luigi's idea would work also, but it overkill if you just want to make a copy. There's no need to create and save an image file.)

Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi SANDFANG.

The first step is creating an ISO file from the original DVD; the exact procedure to produce this file varies according to the burning program you're using.
    This ISO file will be used in the second step to burn a blank DVD, in order to have a perfect copy of the original DVD.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, May 5, 2017 9:24 PM
  • Windows includes rudimentary support for burning a DVD, but does not include a media copy function. You need a CD/DVD authoring program.  There are many commercial and free programs.  Here's one free example  http://infrarecorder.org/

NOTE Be careful! Just about all freeware today may bundle crap or malware. Watch carefully for pre-checked check boxes set to install other items.

Alternatively, if the DVD you want to copy is just a data DVD (i.e. isn't bootable) you could copy the content to your hard drive temporarily and then use Windows to burn a blank DVD with those files.

(Luigi's idea would work also, but it overkill if you just want to make a copy. There's no need to create and save an image file.)

Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:15 PM