Sticky notes are a blank box RRS feed

• Question

• We recently switched to deploying an image based on the Anniversary Update. The sticky notes app just opens to a blank box you can't do anything with. We've tried resetting the app and redownloading it from the Store, but it's always a blank box. Anyone else seen this before?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:59 PM

Answers

• I figured out my issue.

My default user profile from sysprepping had configured some store apps (I was unaware of this, it wasn't intentional), so the folder C:\Users\Default\Appdata\Local\Packages existed.

I don't know what exactly in that folder causes Sticky Notes to blow up, but on a normal, fresh Windows ISO, that folder doesn't exist, so I removed the Packages folder.

When you log in to a new user now, the folder gets properly created. Downside is users who already have a profile created still can't use Sticky Notes. I can't just remove this folder for them. But going forward, this is fixed.

• Marked as answer by EntegyMVP Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:04 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:04 PM

All replies

• Have you tried app troubleshooter?

If that doesn't help then you may opt older or Classic  Sticky notes as suggested here

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:50 AM
  • Hi ,

First of all, run the "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" command in an elevated CMD prompt to scan and repair the system components.
    Then, try to re-register all apps with the following command in the PowerShell running as Administrator
    "Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"
    Also, refer to the following link to rebuild the Icon Cache, check if it helps.
    How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-icon-cache-rebuild-windows-10-a.html
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

If the issue persists, I suggest you create a new user account. Logon with new account to have a check, you current user profile could be corrupted already.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:13 AM
  • The icon cache? What?

Running restorehealth doesn't help. Nor does reregistering the app or even uninstalling the app and redownloading it from the Store...

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:41 PM
  • Hi ,

Sorry, I forgot that the sticky notes change as Store app, not the desktop app in Windows 10 version 1607. Have you tested under a new account? Please post back the test result. If the issue persists, try to perform an in-place upgrade repair to refresh the machine. Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files.  It allows you to keep all your files, settings and apps. No product key is required. Activation is automatic. Boot from a Windows 10 ISO, choose "Upgrade" install.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 8:59 AM
  • I figured out my issue.

My default user profile from sysprepping had configured some store apps (I was unaware of this, it wasn't intentional), so the folder C:\Users\Default\Appdata\Local\Packages existed.

I don't know what exactly in that folder causes Sticky Notes to blow up, but on a normal, fresh Windows ISO, that folder doesn't exist, so I removed the Packages folder.

When you log in to a new user now, the folder gets properly created. Downside is users who already have a profile created still can't use Sticky Notes. I can't just remove this folder for them. But going forward, this is fixed.

• Marked as answer by EntegyMVP Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:04 PM
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:04 PM
  • users who already have a profile created still can't use Sticky Notes.

Somehow my old Sticky Notes got converted to new ones.

Hmm... I found something that implied they were once called  .snt  and I do have two of those that were last written when I upgraded to 1607.  It looks like one is just a backup created by the upgrade in

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftStickyNotes_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\Legacy\ThresholdNotes.snt

I wonder where the new ones go?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:04 AM