none
only view certain projects RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Server 2010.

We have a user who is unable to see all the projects in the project centre. This is strange as he uses the same view as everyone else.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 12:49 PM

All replies

• Hi HFprojects

Having access to a view does not necessarily provide access to the projects/resources - that is defined by the categories.  For more information and an overview of security have a look at http://www.applepark.co.uk/project-server-security-explained/

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:53 PM
  • Perhaps I didn't explain the issue.

We have 50 users and 20 projects. Every user should be able to view all the projects in the project center. One user complained that he can see most of the projects but that some of them are not on his list in the project center. My questions are:

• why are some there and some are not there?
    • why only this particular user?
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:37 AM
  • Hi HFProjects,

What Ben has tried to explain you is the security model of project server, which you need to configure to achieve certain requirements.

However in your case, if you want all your resources to view all the projects, please include My Organization category to users group and that will enable users to view all the projects available in the system.

also if above is already configured, please check if that particular user hasn't set any filter in his/her project center view? which cause this issue.

Update us with the progress, and i hope this helps. 

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Khurram, thanks for the response.

At the moment, all users can see all the projects.

Only one person has complained that certain projects are missing from his view. He is using the same view as everyone else and there is no filter that is set. As a workaround, I deleted the project from PWA and reloaded it with a new name. And he was then able to see it.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 1:46 PM
  • The user continues to be unable to view certain projects in PWA which is strange because all other users can see all the projects. Although the user cannot view the project, in 'my tasks' he can see tasks that are allocated to him in these projects.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Hi HFProjects,

Project server security can be very difficult to understand.  Please review the security settings for this user verses one of your other users.  Review the differences.  Then review either my blog at http://www.applepark.co.uk/project-server-security-explained/ of the Microsoft documentation on Technet.

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:59 PM
  • I think that they key to my problem is based on what you say in your overview in the link " ... the category My Projects is dynamic; and projects and resources will move in and out of the category". That could be the reason that some users can see projects and others cannot.

May I ask my question in a different way please? How can I restore all my security settings to the default that they were at before I made changes?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Hi,

If you have not made any changes to the security templates then the permissions for the groups and categories can be re-set quickly by setting the permissions for each group and category association using the template.

To check the default permissions, use http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc197658(v=office.14).aspx

BR,  Ben.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:11 AM