Complete PC Backup doesn't list USB drive as target anymore RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm using Vista Enterprise. The local drive has been partitioned into C: and D: drives. I used to backup my PC to an external USB drive E: (Complete PC Backup). This worked fine for a while but all of the sudden, backup does not list the external drive as backup target anymore although it is correctly being recognized by Vista.

My C: and D: drive together use about 54GB. The USB drive has a capacity of 160GB out of which 106GB are still available. I do not have any other network shares assigned to drive E:.

I already tried:

+ disconnected/reconnected USB drive
    + reboot
    + gave my profile full control on drive
    + started Backup Center as admin
    + logged on as local admin
    + no errors/warnings in Device Manager

When booting into the Recovery Environment and selecting Complete PC Restore, the USB drive is correctly listed.

Any suggestions? Is 106GB not enough?

Cheers,

Taz

Friday, November 9, 2007 9:09 AM

Answers

• Microsoft helped me solve the problem. Actually it is quite easy, I just did not think in this direction:

I have my backup USB drive and another one that I use for Virtual Server and VS is actually installed on there. I never used the two drives simultaneously. For some reason, however, they both used the same drive letter.

So Backup thought that vital files (i.e. VS) were installed on my backup drive when I connected it and refused to show it.

I now changed the drive letter of my backup drive and can see the disk in the backup UI again.

Doh...
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:15 PM

All replies

• Microsoft helped me solve the problem. Actually it is quite easy, I just did not think in this direction:

I have my backup USB drive and another one that I use for Virtual Server and VS is actually installed on there. I never used the two drives simultaneously. For some reason, however, they both used the same drive letter.

So Backup thought that vital files (i.e. VS) were installed on my backup drive when I connected it and refused to show it.

I now changed the drive letter of my backup drive and can see the disk in the backup UI again.

Doh...
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Note to self, vista is still basing device location on outdated concepts of drive letter instead of DeviceID/SN.  I get a similar problem when I use a new physical USB disk as a backup destination. vista cannot detect the device change and automatically create a new full backup on it before writing incrementals if only an incremental is scheduled.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Unfortunately, the trick does not work with my Vista Business.

Actually, my DVD burner has disappeared at the same time my USB drive did. And Complete PC Backup complains of a 0x8007007B error.

Sunday, August 17, 2008 5:08 PM