none
Default Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Do any of the developers of Windows Vista and by association, Windows Server 2008; think that the setting for the default email client and newsgroup application(s) could be made separate any time soon, as well as the calender and other such programs, in order so that one can specify settings for default programs individually?

Monday, October 15, 2007 1:49 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Your question is not clear, what did you mean by "application could be made separate any time soon" and” in order so that I can specify those settings individually?" did you mean that these application is not enabled in windows server 2008. If this was your question, so, the answer is installing windows Desktop experience, for more info about Desktop Experience http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2267051&SiteID=17 . If I miss understood your question please tries to make it clearer.

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:51 AM
  • I think it's high time that there was a way to specify newsgroup reader settings separately from email client settings, as well as calender settings too and the logical place to do this is..

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:20 AM
  •  me.compositor wrote:

I think it's high time that there was a way to specify newsgroup reader settings separately from email client settings, as well as calender settings too and the logical place to do this is..

Well?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Sherif: We're talking about default programs here. Which application is to be used for calendar, newsgroup, email and web for example. These settings are today not separated in some cases, so you'll get OE for both mail and newsgroups for example.

I'd say that this won't make it to RTM, but could make it (if customer demand is high / devs have time) to SP1. (On the other hand, it's an infrastructure OS and not client side, so I'd say that priority is very low)

Could anyone from MSFT clarify?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:05 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Your question is not clear, what did you mean by "application could be made separate any time soon" and” in order so that I can specify those settings individually?" did you mean that these application is not enabled in windows server 2008. If this was your question, so, the answer is installing windows Desktop experience, for more info about Desktop Experience http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2267051&SiteID=17 . If I miss understood your question please tries to make it clearer.

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:51 AM
  • I think it's high time that there was a way to specify newsgroup reader settings separately from email client settings, as well as calender settings too and the logical place to do this is..

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 6:20 AM
  •  me.compositor wrote:

I think it's high time that there was a way to specify newsgroup reader settings separately from email client settings, as well as calender settings too and the logical place to do this is..

Well?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 2:25 AM
  • Sherif: We're talking about default programs here. Which application is to be used for calendar, newsgroup, email and web for example. These settings are today not separated in some cases, so you'll get OE for both mail and newsgroups for example.

I'd say that this won't make it to RTM, but could make it (if customer demand is high / devs have time) to SP1. (On the other hand, it's an infrastructure OS and not client side, so I'd say that priority is very low)

Could anyone from MSFT clarify?

Thursday, October 18, 2007 8:05 AM
  • I looked at the "Set Default Programs" option and all it allows one to do is look at the file associations of each program but not inexplicitly change them.

How come this is so?

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:18 AM