App-V 5.0 Recipe: FileZilla

General discussion

• Application Name:  FileZilla

Application Version:  3.8.0

Company Name:  Filezilla-project.org

Sequencer Version:  5.0 SP2, 5.1

App-V Client Version Tested On:  5.0, 5.0 SP1, 5.0 SP2, 5.1

**Install to PVAD for versions 3.22.1 and newer**

Operating System Sequenced On: Windows 7 (32bit)

Pre-requisites:  None

Client Operating Systems Successfully Deployed To: Windows 7 (32 and 64bit), Windows Server 2008 (32 and 64bit)

*Posted by non-Microsoft Employee:  Cody Lambert

If Posted by Microsoft Employee, the Corresponding KB Article Reference:  N/A

Steps to Sequence the Application: 

• Start sequencing > Create Package (default) > Standard Application (default) > Select the installer for the application
    • Package Name:  FileZilla 3.8.0 (or however you wish to name it)
    • Primary Virtual Application Directory:  C:\FileZilla
    • Destination Folder for Installation:  C:\FileZilla (when you click next, it will change this to C:\FileZilla\FileZilla FTP Client)
    • Choose defaults for the rest of the installation, but un-check the box for "Start FileZilla now" and click Finish
    • While still sequencing, with notepad open the following file:  C:\FileZilla\FileZilla FTP Client\docs\fzdefaults.xml.example
    • Update the file so that the following code is all that remains between <FileZilla3> and </FileZilla3>
    <FileZilla3>
        <Settings>
          <Setting name="Disable update check">1</Setting>
        </Settings>
    </FileZilla3>
    • Save the file as fzdefaults.xml in the following location:  C:\FileZilla\FileZilla FTP Client
    • Check box to finish the sequencing process

Known Issues/Limitations:  You can use the fzdefaults.xml file to control other settings within the application as well.  In my example all that I am doing is disabling the applications ability to update.  Thanks to the recipe posted by Rorymon here that got me  going in the right direction.

Approximate Sequencing Time:  10 minutes

Descriptive Tags: App-V, 5.0, FileZilla, Recipe, Guidance

• Edited by CodyLambert Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:32 PM update to include PVAD
    Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:20 AM

All replies

• I have a more long form version http://rorymon.com/blog/index.php/app-v-recipe-filezilla/

Have a few up there and some over on the appv5training.com site.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Saturday, June 07, 2014 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Rory!
    Tuesday, July 01, 2014 5:08 PM
  • hey guys

Thanks for the recipe

I realise this version is old but just wondering if annyone had this error once before with the latest version (3.17.0.1)

I am using App V 5 and it sequences fine

I deploy it fine through SCCM, but when starting the application I get this error after the second time starting it (so first run of the application i do not get errors but after the second time i get the following error on starting the app:

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 8:54 AM
  • I have the same problem with 3.22.1 on app-v 5.1
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:40 AM
  • I had the same problem. The package can't seem to find the "quickconnectbar.xrc" file in the resources folder even though the file exists. 

If you are using App-V 5.0 you will need to sequence to PVAD. 

This resolved the issue for me. 

Application version 3.22.1 - Using App-V 5.0 SP3

Friday, January 20, 2017 2:50 PM
  • Thanks all.  I will update the recipe to reflect the new PVAD requirement.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:30 PM