Can I Undo a RoboCopy run that's already completed?

• I apologize if this forum is meant for tech people as I'm a novice computer user, but I really need help.  I have Windows 7 x64 and I used RoboCopy for the first time, and have messed up royally.  I was trying to copy folders and files from my computer to an external hard drive.  My external hard drive had important files and folders on it already, and I thought that copying more data using RoboCopy would just add to it, but it deleted everything that was on the external hard drive when it copied the additional data.  

Can I undo what just happened?  Is there any way to revert?  Or maybe there's some way to recover that deleted data?

I used:  Robocopy C:\Users\Name\Documents F: /MIR /dcopy:T

I would be really grateful to be helped.  Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Ineww Sunday, November 06, 2016 11:03 AM missing space in cmd line
    Sunday, November 06, 2016 9:02 AM

• Hi ,

There is no Windows settings can undo it if you already replaced it, unless you backup these files before. Just from my experience, if you data is valuable, it is suggested contact data recovery company for help.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

• Marked as answer by Ineww Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:30 AM
    Monday, November 07, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Hi Ineww.

The obvious suggestion is to install a file recovery software and execute it; do not use your external drive before trying to recover any data or your chances to have a successful recovery will decrease.
    Also read the information that you can find at

Luigi Bruno

Sunday, November 06, 2016 8:31 PM

All replies