importing list data from a flat file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello! I recently tried to migrate my SharePoint installation to a new farm. Unfortunately, we're not able to load the content database due to the common problem of MOSS 2007 telling us we need to upgrade the application server (even though it's the same edition of SharePoint as the original and was installed with the same disc). Because Microsoft doesn't support any solution for this problem, we're forced to rebuild the site using the raw data from a granular backup.
    I notice that the lists have the newform.aspx as well as the individual list items in some file format unkown to either my Windows XP PC or the Server 2008 machine on which sharepoint resides.

I'm wondering if there is a way to import all of these list item files into sharepoint?

There's no file extension on these files, just numbers such as "D-2.0.-1466"

Thanks!

Tom

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What kind of files do you have from this farm?   Generally all you would need to migrate data to another farm if you do not have access to the content databases is a backup created by SharePoint.  Or even an Export of the site collection.

There are some security updates that do cause the schema mismatch problem.  To get around this, make sure all servers are patched at the OS levels exactly the same.

Also why are you running an RTM (disc) version of the product?  Service Pack3 has been around for some time(over a year now).  You should consider updating to this service pack as there are many fixes and improvements.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

As for the files in question you are asking about they cannot be put back in using the manner you are attempting.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan MingModerator Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by THTolleson Monday, December 17, 2012 11:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by THTolleson Monday, December 17, 2012 11:24 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question. I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

What kind of files do you have from this farm?   Generally all you would need to migrate data to another farm if you do not have access to the content databases is a backup created by SharePoint.  Or even an Export of the site collection.

There are some security updates that do cause the schema mismatch problem.  To get around this, make sure all servers are patched at the OS levels exactly the same.

Also why are you running an RTM (disc) version of the product?  Service Pack3 has been around for some time(over a year now).  You should consider updating to this service pack as there are many fixes and improvements.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587

As for the files in question you are asking about they cannot be put back in using the manner you are attempting.

Regards, Savoeurn Va Microsoft Online Community Support

• Marked as answer by Entan MingModerator Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by THTolleson Monday, December 17, 2012 11:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by THTolleson Monday, December 17, 2012 11:24 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 8:17 PM
  • It's ok, we did it by hand. hank you for looking into this for me!

It was in fact mismatched schemas, but we just rebuilt it ourselves by re-uploading content.

Major pain, but all is well.

Thanks!

Tom

Monday, December 17, 2012 11:23 PM