Install to / run POSReady 2009 off a CF Card RRS feed

• Question

• Can PR9 be run off a CF Card? On a POS w/o a HDD, a 16GB CF Card installed in a reader on the IDE bus. PR9 sees the card, can partition/format the card, installs files, but when the unit reboots to complete the POSReady 2009 installation, I receive error messages. I've tried both NTFS and FAT32 file formats, and I use the No Additional Storage Drivers selection.
    If I use NTFS, I get Disk Read Error upon reboot. Inspecting the CF Card, it has boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr, Windows folder, Program Files folder and Docs and Settings folder.
    If I use FAT32, I get Disk Error upon reboot. Inspecting the CF Card, it has boot.ini, ntdetect.com, ntldr, Windows folder, Program Files folder and Docs and Settings folder.
    If I format the card to be a DOS bootable card, I can boot to a DOS prompt, so it's not a BIOS boot setup issue.
    Thanks for your help,
    Paul
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:04 PM

Answers

• Paul,

POSReady can be installed and run from Compact Flash.  This device simply appears to POSReady as an IDE device.  We tested with cards as small as 2GB with no problems.  Neither FAT32 or NTFS should make a difference. Please try another card on this system to determine if there is a problem with the card you are using. 

Terry Warwick - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:20 PM

All replies

• Not all CF cards are created equal. For XP Embedded, WinSystems, Transcend, and SiliconSystems (now Wester Digital) have been found to perform better than comercial grade CF cards.

Windows XP (and the embedded versions) can only see 1 partition on a removable device. Unless you ordered the CF as a fixed device, any secondary partition are not viewable in Windows XP.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com, Book Author - XP Embedded Advanced, XPe Supplemental Toolkit, WEPOS / POS for .NET Step-by-Step
    Friday, August 21, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Paul,

POSReady can be installed and run from Compact Flash.  This device simply appears to POSReady as an IDE device.  We tested with cards as small as 2GB with no problems.  Neither FAT32 or NTFS should make a difference. Please try another card on this system to determine if there is a problem with the card you are using. 

Terry Warwick - MSFT
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:20 PM
  • Almost have it. Obtained Transcend UDMA 300X 16GB CF Card, installed PR9 9/25/09 off an external USB interface DVD drive, CF Card only drive on the POS. Install took several hours after the first reboot following installation. First boot agent window would appear saying "Installing components...", the POS would access the DVD drive, then a "Resetting Setup Flag..." message would appear. Unit would reboot and repeat the components and setup flag operation - dozens of times. I left it on at the end of the day Friday, came in this AM to the administrator logon window. Installed drivers, reboot, get the "Resetting setup flag..." message, then get the admin logon screen. Logon and all drivers are unloaded. Reload drivers, reboot, same problem. Using Build 2600, XPSP 080413-2111 (Service Pack 3) Evaluation copy.
    External DVD drive w/ PR9 DVD not connected to POS.
    Suggestions, how do I change the system to eliminate the Setup Flag message and drivers being unloaded?
    Thanks,
    Paul Williams
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Well, this AM after a reboot, the Resetting Flag message did not appear. Loaded drivers, reboot several times, drivers were OK. Can't explain, got that message and driver unload 1/2 dozen times yesterday. Here's what was repeated at the end of the FBALog.txt file, dated yesterday:
     11:38:49 AM -  [FBASetProgressText] Installing Components...
     11:38:49 AM -  [FBALaunch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce" /v EventLogsClear /t REG_SZ /d "\Windows\FBA\EventLogsClear.vbs" /f (ExitCode: 0x0)
     11:38:49 AM -  [FBALaunch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded\FBA" /v FBAisDone /t REG_SZ /d "1" /f (ExitCode: 0x0)
     11:38:49 AM -  [FBALaunch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe delete "HKCU\Console" /v "WindowPosition" /f (ExitCode: 0x1)
     11:38:49 AM -  [FBASetProgressText] Resetting Setup Flag...

Thanks for your comments guys.
    Paul Williams
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:04 PM
  • By far the most difficult part to getting flash and/or removable media to work is done before FBA starts.  Most notably, getting the device preped and the critical drivers pushed onto the future OS.  If FBA starts, the rest is much easier.

I don't see anything wrong with the log, in fact it looks like everything is perfect.  Resetting the Setup Flag is a normal part of the Setup, however I'm not sure about unloading drivers, this doesn't sound right.

One other possibility that we occasionally encountered was that sometimes older media would fail unexpectedly and in seamingly random locations. These problems were almost always tracked down to a bad or unreliable sector on the device that we were stumbling on.  There's no workaround for this problem other than replacing it.  Do you have another device to try out?  Sorry for making you debug this.

Brendan

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:58 AM