none
Office Web Apps not working in Web Applications that use Claims-Based Authentication RRS feed

  • Question

  • I just ran across a problem we've been having with the few web applications we have configured to use claims-based authentication: Office Web Apps fails to open any documents with the error:

    <label class="WACStandardDialogLabel" id="message">Word Web App cannot open this document for viewing because of an unexpected error. To view this document, open it in Microsoft Word.</label> 

    <label class="WACErrorId" id="errorId">Error Id: ab9ec8bf-7d83-4b34-a22d-6040fc430ead, 20130528100532</label>

    I have researched this generic error and performed the troubleshooting that people have mentioned.  Most of instances of this error appear to be farm-wide, while in my particular case it actually only affect web applications that use CBA.  This leads me to believe that it may have something to do with the user accounts being used to run the service.  I notice that all users in a web app using CBA are listed as "i:0#.w|<domain>\<username>".  I wonder if the problem has to do with the service account used for my Word Viewing Service not being able to authenticate for some reason (even though that account DOES have access and is working properly)

    Any ideas as to what could be causing this behavior?

    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:29 PM

Answers

  • Actually, it turned out being an issue with the database permissions of the farm account, which I believe is the account that was running the Word Viewing Service.  After giving that account full rights to the DB, it worked fine.  Now I just need to figure out the best way of accomplishing what I need without going overboard on the permissions.

    Starting the Claims to Windows Token Service didn't seem to have any effect, so I disabled it again.

    • Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Friday, May 31, 2013 4:47 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 4:47 AM

All replies

  • Hello

    Is the claims to windows token service started?


    MCITP-EA | I really like cheese.. no, I really do

    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 8:14 PM
  • Wow, thank you for the suggestion.  That service was stopped.  I started it, but the problem persists.  I imagine I'll need to at least do an IISRESET, if not reboot the WFE, so I'll have to wait a couple days for a maintenace window to find out.  I'll provide an update at that point.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:32 PM
  • Actually, it turned out being an issue with the database permissions of the farm account, which I believe is the account that was running the Word Viewing Service.  After giving that account full rights to the DB, it worked fine.  Now I just need to figure out the best way of accomplishing what I need without going overboard on the permissions.

    Starting the Claims to Windows Token Service didn't seem to have any effect, so I disabled it again.

    • Marked as answer by S_Sanchez Friday, May 31, 2013 4:47 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 4:47 AM