SteadyState and security freeware RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.  I just installed SteadyState into my son's school's XP SP3 updated computers to reduce the risk of the children corrupting the hard drive with accidental erasures and viral/malware/spyware infections.  The school wanted to go the route of freeware so I installed a number of freeware security programs including AntiVir (for antivirus), SUPERAntiSpyware (for spyware), Kerio (for firewall), and SpywareBlaster.  Each can be updated and the first three can be updated automatically.  I know that when I configure other programs, the configuration does not remain permanent when in the Guest account.  The feature for disk protection is not on for SteadyState.  I'm wondering if the automatic updates and SpywareBlaster's manual updates can be performed in the Guest accounts and remain there after rebooting. 

Since I will not be assuming the responsibility to update things routinely from the Administrator's account (and the computer science teacher is oddly in over her head when it comes to computer security), the computers will most likely remain on the Guest accounts.  Thus, I have a need to know if there are settings in SteadyState to allow for the programs mentioned above to update (and retain the updates) from the Guest accounts.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 4:55 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Curious D, thanks for the post. First of all, I recommend you install one security program on the computer instead of several. If we use several antivirus programs at the same time, it reduces total performance of the computer. Meanwhile, it may also cause potential conflicts. If you have not turned on Windows Disk Protection, those updates should be kept when using Guest account. However, if you enable Windows Disk Protection, only several antivirus programs can be recognized and automatically keep the updates. For other unsupported antivirus programs, we will need to write a script to do the updates automatically. Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Curious D, thanks for the post. First of all, I recommend you install one security program on the computer instead of several. If we use several antivirus programs at the same time, it reduces total performance of the computer. Meanwhile, it may also cause potential conflicts. If you have not turned on Windows Disk Protection, those updates should be kept when using Guest account. However, if you enable Windows Disk Protection, only several antivirus programs can be recognized and automatically keep the updates. For other unsupported antivirus programs, we will need to write a script to do the updates automatically. Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Thursday, March 5, 2009 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  That's good to know.  Since the Windows Disk Protection isn't on, then the computers should be okay.  Yesterday, I noticed the antivirus program updating, but didn't see if the update kept.  It probably did.  I just hope the rest of the programs will hold as well.  Incidentally, I have only installed one antivirus program in the computer.  The rest of the security programs are serving other functions.  Thanks again for the input.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 4:56 PM