Windows 10 active hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I have some PC's that are using the 1607 LTSB Windows version. On these machines the maximum number of hours that you can set as active is 12 and I have set the active hours from 8am to 2am, normally Microsoft does not allow that but you can do it from the group policy / Computer Configuration / Administrative templates / Windows Components /  Windows Update / "turn off auto-restart for updates during active hours". Also I have set the computers to restart every Monday at 5am.

However I noticed that some of these machines are rebooting to install updates around 10am and some at 8pm.

Now I understand the fact that they would restart at 8pm because the active hours have reached their maximum limit, but why would some of them restart at 10am?

I have searched online and found from different websites, reports, that windows do not respect the active hours setting at all if you surpass the 12 hour limit.

Is that the case? Is there an official Microsoft release about that?

Wednesday, December 11, 2019 11:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In fact, maybe you have read the link and found the method about how to configure active hours with Group Policy.

In windows 10 version 1607, the maximum number of hours that you can set as active is 12. However, the default maximum difference from start time has been increased to 18 in Windows 10, version 1703.

In this version of Windows 10, the maximum range of active hours can now be configured.

See: Policy CSP - Update

So suggest you updating your version to 1703 manually and check if issue still exits.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day~

Best Regards

Kiki

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Kiki

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 13, 2019 1:54 AM
  • Thanks for the answer Kiki.

The issue is that to upgrade to 1703 I would need to perform a clean install and lose the current configuration and all the data, so that's why I have not done it so far. For the time being I would like to know if Microsoft has released any available information regarding the issue I explained in the topic( if you overcome the limit it disregards the active hours ).

Ideally I would like to upgrade to 1703 or any newer version but as I have researched up to this point there is no Microsoft supported way to do this without performing a clean install.

Thank you.

Monday, December 16, 2019 8:34 AM
  • Hello,

You should be able to upgrade without have to lose the current configuration and all the data.

Note: Windows 10 LTSC 2015 did not block this upgrade path. This was corrected in the Windows 10 LTSC 2016 release, which will now only allow data-only and clean install options. You can upgrade from Windows 10 LTSC to Windows 10 semi-annual channel, provided that you upgrade to the same or a newer build version. For example, Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB can be upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise version 1607 or later. Upgrade is supported using the in-place upgrade process (using Windows setup).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/upgrade/windows-10-upgrade-paths

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, December 16, 2019 4:50 PM
  • Hi,

When you choose to in-place upgrade, this will not affect your files and programs.

About how to perform an in-place upgrade, you could refer to the following link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-with-windows-10/7f0b236e-3c6c-4913-9691-c4baa2a6190a

Hope can help you. Have a nice day~
    Kiki

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we will propose it as the information provided should be helpful.

If you need further help, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

Best Regards

Kiki

Thursday, January 2, 2020 3:17 AM