none
SharePoint 2010 Document Exports Hidden Character to Excel 2007 - How do you remove/prevent? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a SharePoint document that is from an InfoPath published form that contains a number of rich text boxes. When I export one of the documents to Excel the columns that were rich text boxes on the form often contain a question mark in the first space of the value.

    It's undetectable when you view the cells in Excel, but I then run a macro to place the Excel values in text boxes in PowerPoint. That is when you can see the first expected character of the field is sitting on top of a question mark. If you look at the field properties it shows the question mark as the first character.

    In the VBA I added a breakpoint and found that the ActiveCell.Value showed the question mark when it is hovered over. So logically I put in code to check if the field = "?", and even though they are both question marks, the code does not find them as being equal. 

    I figure that the question mark in the excel is actually a special character and not necessarily the value of an actual question mark.

    Sorry for being so wordy...has anyone encountered this and if so how did you correct the issue or at the very least get Excel to recognize the special question mark.

    Thanks!

    Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:10 PM

Answers

  • I finally found a way to get rid of the character. 

    If FieldA Like [A-Z,a-z.0-9] Then

    process normally

    Else

    delete first character

    End if

    Works like a charm

    • Marked as answer by Drew-S Monday, June 3, 2013 8:46 PM
    Monday, June 3, 2013 8:46 PM