Error code 0xc000000f A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed RRS feed

• Question

• Please provide a solution to repair/fix this issue.

I have deployed 12 Dell Precision T3500 Xeon quad core (various speeds), 4g ram, latest bios, CD/DVDr, Various HD sizes 320g to 1tb.

All machines fresh/new load of Win 7 pro (Dell Reload DVD) with all updates completed, Windows 10 online upgrade method.

All machines run and Win 7 & Win 10 upgrade no issues (actually noticed a perceived performance increase)

All machines loaded and upgraded 1st week of November, Machines placed at clients location for after new years install, 12/30/2015 began to place machines on line and the following disaster occurred, So far 5 of the machines have all produced the exact same error.  THIS ALL HAPPENED WITH THE OS UPDATE TO "1511"  

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your PC needs to be repaired

A required device isn’t connected or can’t be accessed

Error code 0xc000000f

You’ll need to use recovery tools. If you don’t have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

There are three options presented:

Enter doesn’t work

F8 doesn’t work

F9 goes to: Automatic Repair

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have placed the workstations for a startup 1/4/2016 early a.m.

From what I have read this issue is causing wide spread damage to business and home users alike and no clear solution has been provided to date except to reload using a TechBench process ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench )

As you well know each machine besides the OS has an MS office install, proprietary business specific software install (it's a Law Office, of course!), network configuration and everything else needed to do their daily business. 

As all machines were ready for deployment this is several added hours per machine that now has to be duplicated and from what I am reading may have to be done again if the OS fails again as it has for others.

Is their a better answer than the techbench solution that could rescue the install?

This is a time sensitive issue, please help...........

Saturday, January 2, 2016 8:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sorry to hear the issues you are having.

Booting of the downloaded Windows 10 media at the second Windows Setup screen, there is a 'Repair your computer' option bottom left of the dialogue. From that a Choose an option screen, from there Troubleshoot > Advanced options and Start-up Repair. Not sure if that would be any different to the automatic repair you mention but worth a try before a reinstall perhaps.

Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:28 PM
  • Hi W. E. [Ed] Dolin,

"This is a time sensitive issue"

If this issue is really urgent. We could open a ticket for this case.
    Support for business
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/assistedsupportproducts?wa=wsignin1.0

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 4, 2016 5:35 AM
  • Hi W. E. [Ed] Dolin,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:26 AM
  • I got the same error when trying to grade a PC from Windows 10 version 1607 to version 1703.  Google found this (and a bunch of others but this was closest) and they didn't help, so let me give a suggestion to anyone else who finds this thread from Google.

Try to find a PC where the Media Creation Tool might work.  If the Media Creation Tool fails for you as it did for me, find some other way to download an ISO image.  Some say that if you use a Linux PC to access a Microsoft site where the ISO image is supposed to be available, you actually can download it.

Then burn a physical DVD.

In a running version 1607 PC, I inserted the DVD in the physical DVD drive and ran the setup program.  It worked.  Therefore I didn't try booting the DVD, but that might be another way for some people to do it.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 9:45 PM
  • I got the same problem after automatic Windows Update with the Laptop of my wife.
    After following several hints I found out, that two boot directories were available:
    one lowercase: boot with older files
    and
    one Uppercase: Boot with newer files
    So I backed up the lowercase one: boot -> backupboot
    and renamed the uppercase one: Boot -> boot
    And now the system booted again :)

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 5:32 PM