Start Shutdown prompt to restart RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who is asking to be prompted to restart, similar to that of XP.  I know on Server 2008 you are prompted to explain WHY you are restarting when you go to Start - Shutdown / Restart.  I wonder if there's a way to turn that faeature on at least?

I was told to put in this code:
    (new ActiveXObject("Shell.Application
    ")).ShutdownWindows();
    as a ShutdownDiaglogBox.js
    and it gives me Shut Down Windows
    What do you want the computer to do?
    Shutdown (drop down menu selection) {ok, cancel, help}
    This is EXACTLy what I would like, but I'd like to have it happen when I select the Start Shutdown button or Start Restart button on Vista x86 SP1.
    Monday, June 8, 2009 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Matthew, thanks for the post. If you are not using Windows Vista Home or Basic, you can try the following method to enable it in Group Policy:

Type gpedit.msc into the Run/Start Search then navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System. Right click on Display Shutdown Event Tracker and select Properties. Set to Enable, click on Apply and OK.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew, thanks for the post. If you are not using Windows Vista Home or Basic, you can try the following method to enable it in Group Policy:

Type gpedit.msc into the Run/Start Search then navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, System. Right click on Display Shutdown Event Tracker and select Properties. Set to Enable, click on Apply and OK.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 6:55 AM
  • THANK YOU SEAN!  That was EXACTLY what I was looking for!  VERY COOL!
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:18 PM