How compatible is Power Pivot 2016 with Power Pivot 2013 data models RRS feed

• Question

• Foreward: I realise this is a discussion of pre-release software and understand all of the caveats that come with that. 

I was wondering what the current and intended compatibility is between the imminent Office 2016 Power Pivot functionality and current Office 2013. 

I tested the pre-release version back at the start of the year and once a data model was upgrade to 2016 it was no longer compatible with Office 2013. Is this still the case? If so, is this the expected behaviour for the final release? 

Tuesday, July 28, 2015 5:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Maracles,

According to your description, you need to know if this compatibility setting is still exist on PowerPivot 2016 when is release, right?

Currently, PowerPivot has not release, we cannot give you the final setting about the compatible. If PowerPivot 2016 release, Microsoft will announce new features and breaking changes on the link below.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272053(v=sql.110).aspx

If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback and hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 30, 2015 2:24 AM
  • Understood Charlie, is there a more appropriate forum available for actually discussing the Office 2016 program in it's Beta status so that I can enquire there as to the current status of how things work in the latest builds. Your link about seems more dedicated to SQL Server than PowerPivot.

Thanks for your support.
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:15 AM
  • You can ask in the Excel forum. Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, July 29, 2016 8:52 PM
  • Hi Charlie

it is now 16th September 2016 and the latest 2016 powerpivot software has been released.  It seems however, with std office 365 the addon function of powerpivot is not available - that is the first issue.  If i update office365plus, so i can utilise the power pivot tables in excel 2016, will they be compatible with 2013 as asked above.  Look forward to hearing from you.

REgards

Friday, September 16, 2016 3:05 AM