none
DPM 2010 - Unable to configure protection RRS feed

• Question

• One of my protected servers starting leaving this error message in the DPM event logs on the DPM 2010 server. The alert in DPM says "Unable to configure protection". Protected server is a virtual guest on VMware and had the disk drive C: partition increased by 5GB last Thursday. I assume this is the cause of this error and backup failure (note drive F: does a backup just fine) but have no idea how to fix this now. Can anyone help ?

DPM could not start a recovery, consistency check, or initial replica creation job for  C:\ on SERVERNAME for following reason:

(ID: 3170)

The protected volume \\?\Volume{bd8311c2-2647-11dd-b1e9-806e6f6e6963}\ on SERVERNAME could not be accessed. The volume may have been removed or dismounted, or another process may be exclusively using it. (ID: 55)

Monday, December 6, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the suggestion. I found that by editing the Protection Group and removing protection for the C: drive and then just adding it right back in again it must have fixed it because all jobs have been successfull since then.
    • Marked as answer by tgoetzman Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:40 PM

All replies

• Hello tgoetzman,

What u can try is to remove the following registry key (on the protected client), this is an old UID of the volume that probally is stuck there because u changed the disc layout. After removing this key no reboot is nessesarry and u should be able to initiate a consistency check.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0\UsnJournal

There should be no key's under there...

Goodluck,

Peter

• Proposed as answer by Troy Werelius Friday, September 9, 2011 3:32 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:58 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. I found that by editing the Protection Group and removing protection for the C: drive and then just adding it right back in again it must have fixed it because all jobs have been successfull since then.
    • Marked as answer by tgoetzman Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:41 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Hello,

I had the same problem described as above, the solution Peter provided helped me solve this.

Thank you

Kind regards, Neirynck Davy - MCTS
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:47 AM
  • I had the same problem after a few servers in the network couldn't contact our DNS server for a few hours.

The DNS server issue was fixed, but the error persisted.

We removed the backed up resources from the protection group and re-added them.  that fixed the problem.

thanks

Ben Pahl
    Friday, May 6, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hello tgoetzman,

What u can try is to remove the following registry key (on the protected client), this is an old UID of the volume that probally is stuck there because u changed the disc layout. After removing this key no reboot is nessesarry and u should be able to initiate a consistency check.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent\2.0\UsnJournal

There should be no key's under there...

Goodluck,

Peter

This worked for me as well.  Had a rebuilt virtual disk and the backup was failing with "Unable to Configure Protection."  Deleted the registry entry under UsnJournal and all was well.  Thanks!
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:56 PM