Question about SCCM boundaries RRS feed

• Question

• hi,
    can you help me? i experienced this problem:
    A site: SCCM primary site, set Boundaries: IP range:172.18.0.1-172.18.255.254
    B site: SCCM primary site, set Boundaries: IP range:172.19.0.1-172.19.255.154
    C site: not installed yet, IP range:172.20.0.1-172.20.255.254
    B and C site are connected to A site via MPLS line.
    The question is A site can find some clients from B or C site, why?  and B site also can find some pc from A or C site.

what i only want is each site can only collect the clients in its own site.

thanks

Rain
    Monday, April 13, 2009 7:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• What discovery method are you running? How many domains do you have? For example, if you are a single domain, and are running Active Directory System Discovery in all three, and pointing to the same domain in all three, then the resources will be discovered in all three. But once the client is installed, then only that site the client is installed in will be able to "manage" the client.
    Does that make sense?
    --Joe.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:26 AM
  • hi,

thanks for your quick response.

Discovery Method: Network Discovery

one single domain.

The DC is in A site, the sccm servers in three sites are all domain memberships and just finished configuration, didn't install any client yet.

For example, A site:pc1(172.18.0.1), sccm server in Site B find pc1, but actually i set the IP range:172.19.0.1-172.19.255.254 on sccm server of Site B, why it can find pc1?

thanks

Rain

Monday, April 13, 2009 10:43 AM
  • Remember that boundaries are for client assignment, and don't affect how resources are discovered. 

That being said, although I don't know what your Network Discovery configuration is like, what you explain here can be absolutely normal. One site may be able to "see" machines assigned to another site, but that doesn't mean that it will install the client and manage them.
    Senior Premier Field Engineer | Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, April 13, 2009 8:14 PM
  • Network discovery will discover anything on the network no matter if its in the assigned boundary. Just make sure that the boundary is set correctly if you are  using client push method to install the configmgr clients.
    Mayur
    Monday, April 13, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Ok, I understand now, but how can I configure the Network Discovery to find only the PCs in it's own site? such as subnet or DHCP in Network Dicovery? because i don't want to use AD discovery Method.
    As Mark said one site may be able to see machines in another site, but you know, when one site find all the machines in it's collection, they will be together in one collection, how can i distinguish them unless double-click the machines one by one to see the IP address?

As I said, what I need is one site can find it's own site's machines in one collecion except using AD discovery.
    What am i supposed to do?

thank you very much

Rain
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:35 AM
  • Why don't you want to use AD system discovery? What's wrong with that?
    You could create collections based on the subnet of the clients.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Because there are many computer accounts maybe not exist:-)

how can i create collection based on the subnet ? i can create collection based on Default IP Gateway,IP address and subnet mask,  i didn't find subnet.

another question: why one site sccm server can find machines in All systems collection, but there is nothing in all XP systems, actually most of them are XP system. and i create a collection based on IP Gateway, still nothing there.

thanks

Rain

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:51 AM
  • The new collection I created can only find the machines with client? For example, it can find a pc IP address:172.18.0.1 in the All systems Collection,on which the Client is not installed yet, but when i create a new colletion, set the Criteria,ip address is equal to 172.18.0.1, can't find it. why? thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:08 AM
  • thanks guys, i got it!
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:10 AM
  • thanks guys, i got it!

And what was the solution? "got it" does not help others that are browsing the forums ...
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:48 AM
  • AS i said above:
    The new collection I created can only find the machines with client? For example, it can find a pc IP address:172.18.0.1 in the All systems Collection,on which the Client is not installed yet, but when i create a new colletion, set the Criteria,ip address is equal to 172.18.0.1

but if i change to another machine with client installed, it can be found soon.

So the solution is it only find the machines with client for new collection. Am i right?

thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:53 AM
  • Is that I said above correct?

I have new questions now:
    1. As for the same machine, A site can find it with Client installed, but B site can find it without Client installed. Why?

2.A machine in Site A,  SCCM in A site can find it, SCCM in B site can find it , but when i check the Agent site on it, Agent site[0] is Site B,
     When i try to install client on A machine from A site sccm server, nothing happened, is that because the Agent site is Site B?,  and why the Agent site is Site B, not Site A?

Site A and Site B are all SCCM primary sites, they have different subnet.

thanks

Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:02 AM
  • How is discovery set up? Which discovery method on what site? Which settings?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:38 AM
  • The Sites are using Network discovery method. but i didn't configure the other such as subnet, domain, DHCP, etc. in Network Discovery Properties.

thanks

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, January 2, 2012 1:24 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2009 1:27 AM
  • I have new questions now:
    1. As for the same machine, A site can find it with Client installed, but B site can find it without Client installed. Why?

2.A machine in Site A,  SCCM in A site can find it, SCCM in B site can find it , but when i check the Agent site on it, Agent site[0] is Site B,
     When i try to install client on A machine from A site sccm server, nothing happened, is that because the Agent site is Site B?,  and why the Agent site is Site B, not Site A?

Site A and Site B are all SCCM primary sites, they have different subnet.

anyone can help me?
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:32 AM