How can I prevent a new window from opening when I map a drive in Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• In WINXP I could hold the shift-key down while clicking finish on the map drive window and this would prevent a new explorer window from opening.  I believe there was a registry key that could be added in WIN2K, but I've not found anything on how to do this in Windows 7.  Anyone have the answer?
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested on my machine, and try a lot of methods (shift, ctrl, alt, shift+ctrl, shift+alt .etc), but a new window still open when finish map drive. I’m afraid it is be design.

But I found when you use DOS command to map drive, new window will not open, you can use this command below:

net use z: /persistent:yes \\server\folder

Note: you need to restart Windows Explorer when the command completed and then the network drive will appear.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:57 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested on my machine, and try a lot of methods (shift, ctrl, alt, shift+ctrl, shift+alt .etc), but a new window still open when finish map drive. I’m afraid it is be design.

But I found when you use DOS command to map drive, new window will not open, you can use this command below:

net use z: /persistent:yes \\server\folder

Note: you need to restart Windows Explorer when the command completed and then the network drive will appear.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, December 2, 2010 12:57 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Not only is this answer NOT an answer to the question, but when I attempted to mark it 'unanswered' or 'unhelpful', the only choice was 'helpful'.  So now it looks like I agree with this answer when in fact I think it's stupid. 

Typical Microsoft:  "You can't do it, and you can't tell us about it. We just don't care."

Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:09 PM