My laptop freezes randomly... RRS feed

• Question

• I've looked everywhere for a solution so far. I run on a Acer Aspire 5738Z. Basically my laptop freezes, the whole thing. No mouse, keyboard not even the lights that usually flash on my keyboard (they just stay on). It usually happens when I watch a youtube video. when I do so,I can hear the video play really slowly in the background usually but sometimes it just makes a low pitched buzzing sound. Its been going on for quite a while and i dont know how to fix it so please help.
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:09 PM

Answers

• There are many reasons why a PC " behaves" this way.

These annoying " gliches" may be caused by an overloaded hard drive, overworked CPU, Malware, running 2 AV 's, unnecessary data, Browser addons or you may have unnecessary programs running in the background etc....

What follows is a series of generic troubleshooting steps that you may care to try...

*Make sure all intake/exhausts vents are clean along with all fans.
    Get some temp monitoring software for cpu, gpu.

* It could be a hard drive that is going bad or corrupted.
    To check a hard drive see Check Disk...

* In an administrators account type cmd in search.
    In cmd type sfc /scannow.
    This will report and fix minor problems.
    Take note of what is said at the end.
    Should your computer freeze, try to do the tests in safe mode.

* Go to search, type device manager and look for any yellow warning markers.

*Type event viewer, in search (by start button) > Windows Logs > Application
    Look for RED critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the CURRENT problem.
    Note the event ID, and the source codes and Google search them.

* If overclocking, restore to original.

* Try in safe mode; report back if it works properly.

*Clean boot. You may discover what is causing your problem.

Advice offered in good faith. It is your decision to implement same. Wanikiya and Dyami - Team ZigZag

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by ZigZag3143x Monday, March 3, 2014 5:09 PM
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:18 PM
  • Jake

There are several issues.  By far "bonjour service" (iTunes?) is timing out and freezing.  Of 7000 events ~6000 are from this

You also have an issue with steam and a HD controller error.  Please run a system file check

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, March 3, 2014 8:35 AM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:17 PM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file to Onedrive or a file sharing service and put a link to it in your next post
    If you have updated to win 8.1 and you get the error message "the system cannot find the file specified" it is a known problem.  The work around is to edit the registry.  If you are not comfortable doing this DONT.  If you are, backup the key before you do
    Press Win+"R" and input regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels. Delete "Microsoft-Windows-DxpTaskRingtone/Analytic"

Saturday, March 1, 2014 9:17 PM
  • There are many reasons why a PC " behaves" this way.

These annoying " gliches" may be caused by an overloaded hard drive, overworked CPU, Malware, running 2 AV 's, unnecessary data, Browser addons or you may have unnecessary programs running in the background etc....

What follows is a series of generic troubleshooting steps that you may care to try...

*Make sure all intake/exhausts vents are clean along with all fans.
    Get some temp monitoring software for cpu, gpu.

* It could be a hard drive that is going bad or corrupted.
    To check a hard drive see Check Disk...

* In an administrators account type cmd in search.
    In cmd type sfc /scannow.
    This will report and fix minor problems.
    Take note of what is said at the end.
    Should your computer freeze, try to do the tests in safe mode.

* Go to search, type device manager and look for any yellow warning markers.

*Type event viewer, in search (by start button) > Windows Logs > Application
    Look for RED critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the CURRENT problem.
    Note the event ID, and the source codes and Google search them.

* If overclocking, restore to original.

* Try in safe mode; report back if it works properly.

*Clean boot. You may discover what is causing your problem.

Advice offered in good faith. It is your decision to implement same. Wanikiya and Dyami - Team ZigZag

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:04 AM
    Saturday, March 1, 2014 10:18 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1E0D3572AA8F6C45!129&authkey=!AC9vaW_bwSXzL_w&ithint=file%2c.zip

Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:55 PM
  • Jake

There are several issues.  By far "bonjour service" (iTunes?) is timing out and freezing.  Of 7000 events ~6000 are from this

You also have an issue with steam and a HD controller error.  Please run a system file check

Please run a system file check (SFC)

All instructions are in our Wiki article below...
    Should you have any questions please ask us.

• Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Monday, March 3, 2014 8:35 AM
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Ok i will do. Im running a disk check as we speek and its taking forever so i need to know if i will actually gain anything from it.. If not then do i just turn off my laptop or is there a way to just stop it?and should i?
    Sunday, March 2, 2014 8:43 PM
  • I note 3+ hours has passed since you posted your query above...

Real life duties called for us both. Thus a late response for you.

Disk Check CAN take time to complete.

It is considered prudent to let it run its course.

• Proposed as answer by ZigZag3143x Friday, March 6, 2015 11:48 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 12:15 AM
  • i have ran a SFC scan once and im just doing it again. All the files found the first time have been repaired and i have removed bonjour as ive looked up what it actually does ( i had no clue before) and i realised i dont need it.the second scan has just finished and it didnt find anything.i dont think it will continue to freeze but if it does i will get back to you. thanks for all your help

Jake

Monday, March 3, 2014 7:59 AM
  • Thanks for reporting back

Safe "surfing!"

Monday, March 3, 2014 8:22 AM
  • ok so my laptop froze like 3 times today but it recovered alot quicker than usual... any ideas
    Monday, March 3, 2014 9:15 PM
  • Hi, I have the same laptop model and the same problem and I am looking for a solution too.
    Friday, March 6, 2015 4:29 AM
  • MMC

Did you run the system file check as suggested above?

Friday, March 6, 2015 11:48 AM
  • I JUST OBSERVE MY VENTILATOR OF THE LAPTOP IS NOT WORKING AND I HAVE THE SAME ERROR
    Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:54 AM