Windows Explorer: "Don't Remember Each Folder's View Settings" doesnt work. RRS feed

• Question

• This is a nagging problem I've had with Vista since I started using it around January.

In explorer Folder options is a setting called "Remember Each Folder's View Settings" and it is ON by default.  I guess this is ok, some people really like that feature, but I personally don't like it at all.    When I want to work in "Detailed View" I want to work that way for all folders. When I want to work in "Thumbnail View" I want to work that way for all folders.

If I disable this option Windows Explorer still "remembers" each folder.  I've tried everything I can to get it to work, but I just can't.   I have tried:

• Turning off the feature as the VERY FIRST THING on a fresh install.
    • Every combination of turning the feature on/off in conjuction with deleting HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags and HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
    • Creating a new user profile.

It seems like the ability to turn off individual folder settings has been completely removed.   Anyone know something about this?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:12 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly, i have the exact opposite problem. My "remember each folder view settings" does not work. I selected "remember" and added it to all folders but the only thing it remembered was folder view "list" but the shape of the folders are all uniform and ..and..and.... it driving me crazy!!!!! my only alturnitive is to sprincle some lighter fluid on it and stricking a match to it. Kick it down the stairs and put out the firey mess with a huge sledge hammer.

good luck with your venture.. wish me luck also chow4now

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:45 PM
  • I've seen several suggestions about going into the registry and changing the value of "BagMRU Size or "MRU Size to 5000. This is a lie. It doesn't work. Does This situation is similar to  to the update problem, which is widespread, or the "Default Mail client not properly installed" message that appears when you click on an email link. Lots of stupid answers that (a) make no sense and (b) don't work. Doe ANYBODY have a valid answer to this one?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Problem I have in Vista Business is similar - when you set Windows Explorer to remember settings at log-off (Tools, Folder options, View, Restore previous folder windows at logon), when the windows come back they revert to the standard Vista size, meaning they need to be resized each time. Same when you open a new Explorer window. XP used to remember the size of  windows at reboot or new launch.

Any ideas on how to configure Vista to change default Explorer window size and location would be welcome.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:40 AM
  • My Vista Ultimate will NOT remember the settings. It drives me crazy. I have tried all suggested solution that I found on the internet (modification of the registry). Nothing works.
    If I change the settings for one folder, all other folders are affected!

Any help will be appreciated.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:38 PM
  • This cracks me up - typical Microsoft genious at work.  This feature has been around since XP and to my knowledge never has worked.  Buggy at best.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 12:26 AM
  • Did you ever find a fix for this bug?  It has been driving me nuts for a long time.  When I set Explorer to a particular mode, I expect it stay in that mode until I decide I want a different mode. 

Explorer should NEVER be guessing whether I want to see details, list, or some other mode because the stupied thing always guesses wrong.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 5:18 PM
  • Just try to fully remove the following registry branches:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

It works for my Windows XP, but only until reboot though. However, you can put corresponding .reg file in your autostart folder, for example. Side effect is that even your desktop's icons arrangement isn't remembered.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Errors in Vista in 2007: Remember Each Folder's View Settings.
    Is still a problem in Windows 7 2015. And only user can use Registrations editor and try solve problems them self, have a change to get the options to work properly.
    like desktop shortcuts created as described in Support, getting deleted, and rest meshed around in upper corner, same problems also error for many years and in different Windows Version, and many complains from lots of users, haven't change anything in the 5-7 years problems have bin well known error. So don't have to high expectation's to this or other kind of feedback have any impact, the major software monopole, does that it not so importing to taking care of users problems and many errors in all Windows Version there are released with many failure and interface with function only useable in other versions, but still present and same with Support/help/link, with great amount of failure and increasing. So get used to use great deal of time solving problems & errors in stead of the ordinary Work. Thanks for the great quality and many site with reason for get next version or upgrade to have many new functions with errors.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:12 PM