none
Problems to understand/manage Project Server permissions groups in SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm sure a question of this nature must be common, however a search does not provide me with any useful answers.

The issue in summary is this:  Project Manager permissions in Project Server can allow me to focus permissions on a specific project, however the synchronised SharePoint groups do not - they are generic.

e.g.:

In Project Server, I can set permissions so that only the PM can edit their project schedule.  They can view colleagues' schedules but cannot alter them.  However the SharePoint equivalent user group does not allow to narrow permissions to project sites.

So if I want to allow the PM to have some more flexibility to manage their site, those permissions apply across the board to that SharePoint group, which means that any project manager can modify any project site.

Is this not a common complaint/problem?  Have I not understood something basic here?  It seems that the only way to manage this is with a lot more manual intervention at the SharePoint level to manage permissions per site, which is not desired.

Thanks for any clarification or corrections to my understanding on this.

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:01 AM

Answers

• Nico:

Are you asking whether you can have discordant and distinct permission sets among project managers for their project sites, and get the built-in synch feature to mind that for you? If so, then the answer is no. Even using SharePoint this requires breaking inheritance. Keep in mind the SharePoint Heirarchical structure. You certainly can accomplish this if you want to write an event handler that calls your own provisioning routine and then set up a timer job to run your custom sync routine. 

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:30 AM

All replies

• Nico:

Are you asking whether you can have discordant and distinct permission sets among project managers for their project sites, and get the built-in synch feature to mind that for you? If so, then the answer is no. Even using SharePoint this requires breaking inheritance. Keep in mind the SharePoint Heirarchical structure. You certainly can accomplish this if you want to write an event handler that calls your own provisioning routine and then set up a timer job to run your custom sync routine. 

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, April 19, 2013 4:30 AM
  • Thanks Gary.

I have continued my investigation and have arrived at this conclusion, but your confirmation is appreciated.

I must admit some surprise, because this means that I need to be a bit more hands-on in assigning various permission levels, groups, permissions etc. in SharePoint in order to have PMs managing their respective sites properly.

But hey, it is what it is.  At least I have an action plan in mind.  Cheers, time to get busy...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:28 PM