Annoying Device driver tone at boot up RRS feed

• Question

• For the last couple of months, when I boot up my pc, I get the familiar tone, like a driver is trying to install. Hardware wise, the only change I made, is to go from a PS/2 keyboard to an optical keyboard. The driver installed properly, in fact, I even re-installed it. My first stop was to check Device Manager. Everything is running correctly there. I checked for updated drivers while I was at it. That didn't help. Same tone at boot up. I then started reviewing the Event Viewer. There were some errors showing up at bootup, so one by one I took care of all those. My first one was to eliminate the WMI error. That no longer shows. Next, in configuration Manager, I turned off the PS/2. Next was NT Authority\System. I made 4 changes, to clear up errors in the Event Viewer. Each time I made a change, I would reboot, and the tone was still there. Now I don't have any more errors or warning in Event Viewer\Windows Logs\System after bootup, but I still get the same tone. The only thing that appears, as a Warning, is under Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application. It reads as follows:

-<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

-<System>

<Provider Name="SQLBrowser" />

<EventID Qualifiers="49230">3</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-11-04T15:49:17.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>180294</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>XXXXXX</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

-<EventData>

<Data>AdminConnection\TCP</Data>

<Data>MAXIMIZER</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Maximizer is the instance name

Since then, I’ve tried a few other possibilities. I did a clean boot in Safe Mode (without Networking). There was no tone. I then went into msconfig. I checked off to hide all Microsoft services, then disabled all other services, the tone was still there at boot up. That meant it was in the Microsoft services. I then went to Device Manager. I couldn't disable the sound, because I wouldn't be able to tell if there was a problem. The Video Card was fine. I then went to the Network Adapters. I have a USB 802.11 b/g Adapter. Disabled it-no change. I also have an Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Adapter. I disabled it, no tone. I then Enabled it, through Device Manager, and the tone went off. I was actually able to set off the tone by disabling, then enabling the adapter. From that, I concluded, the NIC was no good. I purchased a new PCI Network Adapter. I installed it, along with the drivers, and disabled the old network adapter. The Intel adapter is a motherboard mounted adapter. Rebooted, expecting all my troubles to be over. I still have the tone at boot up.

I then tried the System file checker. It showed no problems on my system. I still get the same tone.

It has also been suggested, I try to clear the Warning, using the description for Event ID: 3 Source: SQL Browser, as described in:

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=3&eventno=8127&source=SQLBrowser&phase=1

As mentioned in the description, SQL Server Express has various settings and events set “by design”. Changing those settings could corrupt the SSE. I haven’t seen whether changing the event from 0 to 1434 would be safe in SSE. I am also not sure if changing this setting would clear the driver tone. Anyone’s help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dave

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What about to disable the SQL Server Express related services such as the SQL Server Browser service, and then reboot to see if the device driver tone still occurs?

If this is the case, you may post a new thread in the SQL Server Forum for further discussion.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:05 AM
  • I stopped the Sql Server Browser service.  That Warning doesn't show up anymore, but I still get the tone at start upI am still, totally baffled by this.
    Thanks

Dave

• Edited by recruiter Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Hi,

If the SQLBrowser warning was related with the SQL Server Browser service, please refer to the SQL Server Forum for further discussion.

Regarding the device driver tone issue, did you try to remove all the devices and check if the issue still occurs?

Also, did you check your hardware? And does the computer work properly? Is there any device connecting with the computer but not in use?

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:12 AM
  • I am no longer getting the Warning in the Event Viewer, relating to SQL Server, but I still get the tone.

I tried to reboot into Safe Mode, but the sounds are turned off, so I couldn't tell if the problem was still present.  I went to Device Manager, and turned on all Hidden files.  Still no problems showing up there.

How would I go about turning off all the devices?  Do I need to do this one by one?  The computer is working properly otherwise.  Its simply annoying to hear this tone at each boot up, because it implies to me something is wrong.  I simply want to fix it, before it becomes an issue.

Thanks

Dave

Friday, November 11, 2011 4:14 PM