Migrating Outlook UI from one computer to another RRS feed

• Question

• I have Outlook 2013's user interface customized. For example, I have the rightmost pane showing the calendar and tasks. Is there a way to migrate this to another computer automatically? I tried systematically copying files from within the AppData directory, but despite everything I could find, the UI is not being transferred.

Specifically, I copied files from

AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Templates

AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/Outlook

AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook

AppData/Local/Microsoft/Office (with the exception of the 15.0 folder; this causes outlook to think the ost file is "old")

• Edited by mauricev Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:38 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Which type of email account are you using? Exchange, POP3 or IMAP?

Could you specify the user interface customization you mean? Different UI customization may be stored in different way. For example, view settings are stored in the data file (PST or OST) or mailbox. 

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 15, 2017 9:00 AM
  • Exchange. 

As for what I mean, I did the example above. Those settings are not stored in the ost file as I had copied that and they did not get transferred over.

• Edited by mauricev Friday, September 15, 2017 2:43 PM
    Friday, September 15, 2017 2:42 PM
  • Thank you for the update. I noted that you have tried copying the files, but some UI customization may not be transferred in this way or cannot be transferred. It would be better if you could specify the UI customization settings you want to transfer so that we can check and see how to transfer them. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 18, 2017 8:51 AM
  • I'm referring to the UI layout of the main Outlook window. How can it be can that it can't be accomplished by transferring files? Is the customization stored in the registry? It has to be stored somewhere.
    Monday, September 18, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Well. If you mean the custom Ribbon or Quick Access Toolbar settings, they are stored in an *.officeUI file. If you mean the view settings (Reading Pane, custom views), they are stored in the mailbox for an Exchange account. If you mean the To-Do Bar settings, we can control it via modifying registry keys. For your reference:

https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/configuring-outlooks-peeks-users/

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Regards,

Steve Fan

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:44 AM
  • The UI customization of the main window is different between two different copies of Outlook. The fonts are the same, so some of the customization comes from the Exchange account, but not all of it. 
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 3:16 PM
  • Thank you for the update. As I mentioned before, it's not easy to migrate UI settings from one computer to another as these settings are stored/controled in different way. If there are only two computers, it's recommended to manually change the UI settings on another computer to match the first one.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:26 AM