none
Why does my LPT print job take 5 minutes to print? RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Pro with HP Laserjet Pro M404n connected to USB.

The printer works perfectly when printing in standard Windows programs.

However, it needs to print from an old program that requires LPT2 so I shared the printer and mapped it to LPT2:

NET USE LPT2 \\COMPUTERNAME\HPLaswer /persistent:yes

Then I used this command to test printing:

TYPE TEST.TXT > LPT2

Note that "TEST.TXT" contains one word, "Test", so it is not a large file.

This places the job in the queue and it says it is "Printing" but takes exactly 5-minutes before it prints.  However, if I cancel the job, it prints immediately.

I have tried the 2 spooling options as well as printing directly to the printer but they have no effect.

How can I get rid of the 5-minute delay?

Friday, December 6, 2019 8:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Access the printer’s official website and search for appropriate driver version which is applied to current OS version, re-install the printer driver and check the result. 

Besides, based on your description, problem only happens when using specific application to print, if possible, I would recommend you to post on printer’s official website, and confirm with the printer supporter with the details. As it seems has no relate with Windows OS itself. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 7:04 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang      

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 16, 2019 8:14 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  The driver works fine.  This is a Windows-specific problem because I am printing from the Windows command line.  I found a vendor who states that their software will resolve this problem but it is $70 per computer.  See: https://www.printfil.com/edown.htm

I am still hopeful that someone here has a free solution.

Tuesday, December 17, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

In order to find more information about the delay printing, we may use monitoring tool such as Process Monitor to capture detail process, and it may provide more information. Such as specific process delay and etc. 

Process Monitor v3.53:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, December 23, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 26, 2019 8:27 AM