how to set hyperlink url and description simutaneously in sharepoint designer workflow? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hyperlink column in a list. I'd like the sharepoint designer workflow update the url and set the description.

Seems I can not do it: the designer provides two options, browse to a fixed url where you can specify the description; another is point to item or workflow data. But I do not know how to specify both.

If hyperlink column works like other lookup column, you can user {ID}#;{Value} to do this. However tried and it did not work. Could not find better documents.

Any ideas,

Thanks,

Guangming
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:37 AM

Answers

• figure it out by using SharePoint manager to look inside:

The format is "{Url}, {Descrition}". The key is that after ",", there is one space there!!!!

Obivously, two different MS teams are working on hyperlink field and normal lookup field, respectively, 
           therefore different separators used: "#;" vs ", ".

Guangming
    • Marked as answer by Guangming Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:07 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:06 AM

All replies

• figure it out by using SharePoint manager to look inside:

The format is "{Url}, {Descrition}". The key is that after ",", there is one space there!!!!

Obivously, two different MS teams are working on hyperlink field and normal lookup field, respectively, 
           therefore different separators used: "#;" vs ", ".

Guangming
    • Marked as answer by Guangming Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:07 AM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:06 AM
  • I am trying to do this same thing in a SPD workflow, but I am not understanding where you enter the {Url}, {Description}  that you reference above?

Do you click the Value hyperlink and the ...  ?    If so there is a Text to Display field and Address field.  So not sure where I enter in what you list above.

When I enter {@FieldName}  it is not recognizing that.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:13 AM
  • you build a dynamic string variable where you can add URL, and Description. Most time, you url is dyanmic, you should have a variable for it too.

You click the fx button to assign workflow data (a variable in this case) to the hyperlink column.

Hopefully it helps,

Guangming
    Friday, February 12, 2010 4:49 PM
  • Thank you this was exactly what I was looking for
    Monday, March 29, 2010 12:28 AM
  • Wow, that is a good tip!
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 5:38 PM
  • I'm very close but unfortunately I'm missing something that I just know is probably very simple. I understand creating a dynamic string - I understand building the string with the URL and the workflow data dynamic variable (in my case task ID) - what I do not understand is when you say "add URL and Description" - I get URL - I don't get Description. How do I populate the description portion of the hyperlink field?

I'm using SharePoint Designer so I'm not sure what you mean when you say "click the fx button"

Sorry for not having the experience or background to understand this. I'm just starting to use SharePoint Designer to build workflow and this tip would be really great if I could only understand how you build a dynamic string variable with both URL AND Description.

I hope you don't mind helping me with a more detailed description. Thanks much !

DMN987654321

Monday, July 26, 2010 9:03 PM
  • When you build your dynamic string, add a comma and space at the end - then type your "text to display" information.

For example - somehttpaddress[%ID%], Click here

Then set the hyperlink field to your dynamic string variable.

• Proposed as answer by rainlm Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:15 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, May 24, 2011 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 5:04 PM
  • sorry for this late reply: I have to blam MS - my hotmail email has been in trouble for long time and very few emails were received.

OK, Description is something short for your hyperlink, can be static text like "edit item link";

for the fx button, you will see it when you add an Set Field In current Item action and click "value" link to choose which value to set.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:29 PM
  • I cannot believe how long this question has gone on, There is a solution my friend... Its Encoded Absolute URL. You send that and match up your list with the document library, and your workflow will send the link to the list..... Let me know if you need screenshots..
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 12:17 PM
  • Tom is exactly right. When using the "Update List Item" action in a SharePoint Designer workflow, I first created a dynamic string with the following:

[%Encoded Absolute URL%], [%Name%]

Then used the "Update List Item" action to update the hyperlink column with the workflow variable containing the dynamic string. What this does is use the encoded absolute URL as the hyperlink URL, and the Name of the current item as the hyperlink description.

After all the time I spent banging my head on the desk trying to get this working, it was unbelievably simple. Thanks for the help!

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 7:44 PM
  • if you want form to be opened in a web, you may use a different url. You can get how the url looks like by openning a form directly in a browser.

It is sth.: {your site url}_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XmlLocation={relative path to the form}&Source={the page you'd like to go back when form is submitted}&DefaultItemOpen=1

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:03 PM
  • you just mentioned a very special scenario (when the url is for a file in a document lib), addressed by this thread.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Just thought I might give a little more to the explanation if you have say http://MySiteCollection/sites/site/{place that needs to be set in workflow}. First copy or enter you static web address the part, the part of your address that will not change, into the value part of the action then click the elipse and add a look up on the end of the address then place a comma a space then add another look up for the description to be set so it should like this. http://MySiteCollection/sites/site/[%Current Item:ID%], [%Current Item:ID%]

You want to make sure that you use the lookup button. I tried typing it and that did not work correctly

Monday, May 23, 2011 8:27 PM