none
How to backup a Scale Out File Server RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone explain to me how i am supposed to backup my Scale Out File Server? It is used to host our VDI environment but we have thrown a few other minimal shares on there for stuff relevant to the VDI setup. Profile Disk/Scripts etc

Per this topic http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/15561919-963b-4164-a307-e3696f5d21e1/adding-scaleout-file-servers-to-dpm2012-sp1?forum=dpmfilebackup

"DPM does not support protecting scale-out file servers (SOFS) for file shares. "

I do not really know how to proceed. To make sure everything is backed up.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• Anyone?

I am just seeing next to zero information out there about this.... Do i need to talk to the RDS guys? Do i backup the Virtual machines from the hosts and not the SOFS. If dpm doesnt support SOFS file shares. How do i get that data.

SOFS sure seem like the future but i gotta figure out how to back them up.

• Edited by JustusIV Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

Scale out file server support in DPM is for VM's (and SQL DB's I think), only and to be honest because of the metadata overhead using scale out file server and CSV as a general file server is not a good choice.  To protect VM's running on a scale out file server the VM's are backed up from the Hyper-V hosts but the Scale Out file servers do require a DPM agent on them.  SMB 3.0 has a new feature which enables Remote VSS therefore the volumes (shares) are snapped from the Hyper-V hosts.

This document will give you the basic steps (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757866.aspx)

hope this helps,

Regards,

Paul

Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:23 AM
  • Ok i get the gist of the backup.... my remaining question is that the Profiles disks are stored separately for our pooled VM's. How do i go about backing up those?

• Edited by JustusIV Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:47 PM grammer
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Ok so i am to the point now where i have a DPM agent on my clustered Scale Out File Server and my Clustered Virtual Hosts. I am still looking for an answer on how the Profiles for the pooled RDS setup are getting backed up?
    • Edited by JustusIV Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:25 PM