Node reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya,

We have virtualized TMG Server. The TMG VM has got 2 virtual NICs bound to it (one for external and one for internal). Upon rebooting the node, the TMG VM decided to swap its external vNIC for the internal vNIC so it had 2 'internal' interfaces, which obviously caused us to lose internet connectivity.

It is like going into the VM settings, changing the NICs and then applying the changes.

Why would this have happend, automatically after rebooting the node?

Thanks

Monday, July 5, 2010 1:48 PM

Answers

• It is a cluster node but the VM resides on the same node when the node was shutdown and restarted. Indeed this happened when we only had a single node cluster.

The only thing I can think of is that I may have unintentionally originally added the WAN interface for the VM when in Hyper-V Manager and not Failover Cluster Manager so the FCM config could have overwritten the changes.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Friday, September 3, 2010 1:35 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:28 AM

All replies

• If this is a cluster node and your Virtual Network configuration differs (even a difference in case), this could easily happen.
    Check your network configuration for any difference (spelling, virtual network type) and try a Live Migration to see if the networks remain identical after the move.

You can check correct Virtual Network Configuration in SCVMM2008 R2 under hostgroup | cluster properties | Networks

Regards,

Hans Vredevoort
    Cluster MVP

• Proposed as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, July 8, 2010 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 6:32 AM
  • It is a cluster node but the VM resides on the same node when the node was shutdown and restarted. Indeed this happened when we only had a single node cluster.

The only thing I can think of is that I may have unintentionally originally added the WAN interface for the VM when in Hyper-V Manager and not Failover Cluster Manager so the FCM config could have overwritten the changes.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Friday, September 3, 2010 1:35 PM
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 10:28 AM