Windows 7 x64 doesn't boot if a linux drive is plugged RRS feed

• Question

• Ihave connected (sata cable I mean) the drive where I have got my Ubuntu installation to another pc with windows 7 64 bits (but I think that 32 and 64 doesn't make difference).

Windows 7 is Enterprise 64 bit 90 days evaluation downloaded from MS website 1 week ago, it is fully updated including SP1

Windows 7 boot hangs at the early first stage.

So I thought it may be some kind of issue with the hard drive itself (note that the drive is healthy), anyway I have plugged one drive from one NAS (you know, NAS drives are linux partitioned and formatted).

Same result: windows 7 doesn't boot.

Windows 7 boot sequence hangs and after a Ctrl-Alt-Del at the next boot prompts
    "Repair windows installation"
    "Boot windows normally"
    (and obviously none of the options works)

Looks really like that Windows 7 doesn't boot if any linux partitioned and formatted drive is present.

Any of you experienced the same? Or better would be, can any of you kindly do the same test? Thank you

Cor

Friday, June 3, 2011 6:50 AM

All replies

• This behavior is caused by compatibility issue. Windows systems cannot access drives that are formatted by Linux by default. Even inside the Windows systems you need third party tools.

Three Ways To Access Linux Partitions (ext2/ext3) From Windows On Dual-Boot Systems
    http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

However I have not found any tools can help Windows boot process to recognize the Linux formatted partitions.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 6, 2011 7:45 AM
  • This behavior is caused by compatibility issue. Windows systems cannot access drives that are formatted by Linux by default. Even inside the Windows systems you need third party tools...

It would be great to at least use third party tools. Anyway I don't want to mount linux partitions or drives NOR I want to dual boot.

I need to access linux drives with data recovery for windows programs.

The problem is that you can't boot windows 7. I mean, if you connect to any sata port any linux drive with any goal you may have in mind.

On the SAME ITSELF pc I've first installed windows xp, the behavior did no show. I had connect as many linux drives I wanted, windows xp booted fine and I have been able to use my programs to read/analyze/access those drives.

Now I'm trying to repeat what I did with xp x32 with windows 7 x64. The hardware is the same xp pc, formatted and installed windows 7. The drives are the same linux drives.

Windows 7 doesn't boot completely. It starts booting and after some "loading files" progress bars, it hangs, blank screen, no BSOD. It doesn't start in safe mode and if you choose for the boot log file, the log file is not created.

Thank you for your answer, hope these informations gives you a sharper idea.

Cor

Monday, June 6, 2011 8:11 AM