Config Manager 2007 or WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• I've come into a company where a server was already setup with both Systems Center Configuration Manager 2007 R3 and it also has WSUS 3 installed on it as well.  I've tried for a week now to attempt to understand which of the two is the one handling the Windows Updates and I can't seem to figure this out.  Can someone point me in the right direction as to how these two interact with one another or even if one is needed or not?  Looks like SCCM has collections established with all the computers and I can push out software with SCCM without issue, but the Software Updates are listed in SCCM and WSUS and I cannot for the life of me figure out how they are connected.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:04 PM

Answers

• Correct, don't touch WSUS.  and yes, there will be XP updates in there (if they were sync'd in the past), so even though you do not currently have any XP anymore, to attempt to purge that info could cause more problems than the cleanup effort is worth.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, June 21, 2013 4:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:12 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Another reason just to start over with WSUS -- remove the SUP, uninstall WSUS, and then reinstall both after a reboot (or two).

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can verify it by checking if the "Software Update Point" role is installed on the WSUS Server. If the Software updates are listed in SCCM then I would assume that SCCM is used for Patch Management.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:08 PM
  • It shows Windows Server Update Services role is installed on the server.  But I'm confused because in SCCM it shows all the updates and in WSUS it shows all the updates.  I'm starting to think that maybe WSUS is downloading the updates from Microsoft and then SCCM is grabbing the updates from WSUS and pushing them out that way?  The WSUS Computers groups is extremely messed up and I have no clue how those computers are even getting in there, but the Computer collections in SCCM are spot on.
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:44 PM
  • The software update functionality in ConfigMgr requires WSUS. It uses this WSUS instance to download the update catalog/metedata from Microsoft and make that catalog available to managed client systems. The catalog is also synced to ConfigMgr.

WSUS is not used by ConfigMgr to download the actual update binaries though.

From what you have described above, nothing to see here, these are not the droids you are looking for.

• Proposed as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:09 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:13 PM
  • Is there anyway for me to purge all of the update catalogs and just start all over?  We have updates in there from 6-7 years ago that were never installed.  We also have TONS of XP updates, etc, but we don't have any XP machines anymore.  I'd just like to clean it up and start over with only the Windows updates portion.  I don't want to start over with anything else because we use CCM for remote assistance and our computer groups are built up pretty good.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:57 PM
  • As mentioned above, WSUS once integrated into ConfigMgr is only used to handle the update catalog -- nothing more. The computer groups within WSUS are not used at all. Basically, you should forget everything you know about administering WSUS because it does not apply once integrated into ConfigMgr. Thus, the best way to use an existing instance is to typically just reinstall it.

Not sure how remote assistance plays into this though?

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Reinstall what, wsus?  With remote assistance I was just stating I didn't want to wipe everything clean and start over (if that was my only way to purge all the outstanding updates) because in config manager I have about 300 computers in collections and I utilize that for remote assistance, so I didn't want to wipe that portion out.  So basically your saying I don't even touch WSUS and I only use config manager now?
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Correct, don't touch WSUS.  and yes, there will be XP updates in there (if they were sync'd in the past), so even though you do not currently have any XP anymore, to attempt to purge that info could cause more problems than the cleanup effort is worth.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:45 PM
  • OK cool.  I'll give it a whirl in a bit.  Looks like there are GPO's setup to point clients to the SCCM server for updates, although I thought that was already handled as part of the SCCM client install, but I may be wrong.  SCCM is a great tool, but there are tons of things to get it working correctly.  Hopefully I will soon master it.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:54 PM
  • OK so one more question.  I'm slowly figuring this out.  Originally when it was setup the person who installed everything had several classifications selected and several Products selected that we never use nor want.  I've found the section under component configuration where you can remove these, however the classifications still show up under the updates folder.  Could I go in Config Manager Console > Site Settings > Site Systems and DELETE the Software Update Point role and then re-add that role and configure everything the way I'd like?  I'm not sure if doing this will even remove the existing updates, etc.  Its not a huge deal, but there are so many unnecessary classifications and products that I'd really like to get rid of them all because it makes it difficult to sift through the ones actually needed.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Another reason just to start over with WSUS -- remove the SUP, uninstall WSUS, and then reinstall both after a reboot (or two).

Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:27 PM