VM failed to start with Event ID 12140, 12010, 12030 RRS feed

• Question

• We are running VMs on Windows 2008. When trying to start one of VMs, we get the failed to start message with Event ID 12140, 12010 and 12030

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker-Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker
    Event ID:      12140
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 12140 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

AutoDesk
    808419FF-6855-4DB9-8DD4-DBB30567B6E9
    E:
    %%2147942432
    0x80070020
    IDE/ATAPI
     1/0

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

Date:          9/12/2011 1:47:37 PM
    Event ID:      12010
    Description:
    The description for Event ID 12010 from source Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-Worker cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

AutoDesk
    808419FF-6855-4DB9-8DD4-DBB30567B6E9
    Microsoft Emulated IDE Controller
    %%2147942432
    0x80070020
    {83F8638B-8DCA-4152-9EDA-2CA8B33039B4}

The locale specific resource for the desired message is not present

Date:          9/12/2011 1:50:42 PM
    Event ID:      12030
    Description:
    'AutoDesk' failed to start. (Virtual machine 808419FF-6855-4DB9-8DD4-DBB30567B6E9)

Any help?

Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In order to perform the further research, please help me to collect the following information:

1. What’s the operating system within the problematic VM?

2. How many CPU and memory did you assign to this VM?

3. Did you have any anti-virus software installed on the Hyper-V host machine?

By the way, you can check the following link to see whether you can resolve the issue.

http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5699

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by chicagotech Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to perform the further research, please help me to collect the following information:

1. What’s the operating system within the problematic VM?

2. How many CPU and memory did you assign to this VM?

3. Did you have any anti-virus software installed on the Hyper-V host machine?

By the way, you can check the following link to see whether you can resolve the issue.

http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5699

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by chicagotech Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Thank you for the link. I is physical DVD/CD driver issue.
    Bob Lin, MVP, MCSE & CNE Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on

http://www.ChicagoTech.net

How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

http://www.howtonetworking.com

• Edited by chicagotech Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:12 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 10:01 PM
  • I had these same errors and issues and found that one of the VM's that were running already "had" the DVD/CD in use. So within that VM I deselected the drive and then successfully started the new VM with use of the DVD/Cd drive.
    • Proposed as answer by pichocki Friday, June 23, 2017 11:29 AM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:18 PM
  • I had the same issue when restarting the host machine and it turned out that it was because the vhd were on a iscsi drive. The virtual machines were trying to start before the iscsi initiator actually logged onto the iscsi drive. The fix for me was to go into the virtual machines settings and adding a startup delay to the virtual machines
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:28 PM
  • after i remove the cd  from settings

it's started normally 

• Proposed as answer by ItsJustH Friday, July 31, 2015 5:16 AM
    Tuesday, March 24, 2015 10:20 AM
  • I know this is an old post but just had the same issue after a storage update and this saved my bacon! thank you :-)
    Monday, July 13, 2015 8:17 PM
  • THIS!  I had powered off the physical machine without first shutting down the virtual server.  I disconnected the SATA cable to the CD-ROM and when the physical machine came back online, the virtual machine could not start alongside it.  It had saved it's state with the CD-ROM enabled.  I deleted the saved state and set the CD-ROM to none, then started the virtual machine up!  Thank you for saving my evening!
    Friday, July 31, 2015 5:16 AM
  • I deleted the VM then recreated from scratch with the same settings and attached the disk.    This resolved the problem.

• Proposed as answer by PhilFCS Friday, February 22, 2019 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 5:07 AM
  • Yes, thanks. That did the trick, at least for me.
    Friday, June 23, 2017 11:30 AM